Anybody feel like they spent too much?

tjarena

I feel a little nervous that I spent too much on the kids. I didn't put anything on the credit cards, but it is money I problably could have saved. My estimate is that I spent about 300 or more on each of the 4 kids. Should I be worried or just relax and move on??

No charging here either.

Used Giftcards I got from Mypoints ($50 Walmart card) plus $150 worth of Walmart cards my husband earned throughout the year (his company gives them away like candy)

Plus I save $ throughout the year just for christmas gifts.

Now my son is 15. I know I spent way too much. His ipod touch alone was $300. then he got 3 Xbox 360 games plus tons others.

My daughter got more, but her stuff was cheaper.

I spent around $1500 altogether for my two children

I definitely spent more than I intended. On DD10 alone (only child), I had hoped to keep it to $700-$800 and ended up spending about twice that. All you can do is think about the smile and excitement your children will experience on Christmas and move on. And try extra hard to do better next year (but will likely have the same discussion again next year.) *sigh*

I don't even want to think about how much all the stuff I bought for DD cost at full price. At least more than 3x what I spent. Always a silver lining.... :)

I think that you should just be happy and move on =) If nothing was charged then it was money you actually had to spend. If you think money might be a bit tight from all the spending put away some of those gifts for bdays or holidays ( vday, easter, etc) I already bought enough for 2 out of my 3 kids bdays I got such good deals..lol!

I spent around 300 per kid for my two youngest and about 500 on my oldest ( but that is only because she got hannah montana concert tickets as part of her christmas gift but I got such good deals on stuff she wanted I decided not to count the tickets for that....hehe

So I say just enjoy the fact that you had it and that your kids christmas is going to be amazing =)

I bought FAR too many things, every year I say that i'm not going to go overboard an I always do. However I'm thankful that iv'e been able to use a ton of amazon.com gift cards that I've earned and my own money, I haven't SPENT a whole lot of my own cash, haven't changed anything but have BOUGHT way too much ...

No charging here, either.

But, I know we got too much. I always try to take care of the kids lists, not realizing how spoiled they also are by my family and my in-laws. We have a present problem right now...no place to put any more! And there's still about 4 more boxes arriving within the next week. :shock:

Ugh,I pulled all my stuff out today and.....

I need to go shopping!

I haven't really spent all that much because I am determined not to buy stuff just so there are things under the tree. Things the kids ask for but I KNOW they will not play with for long are just not happening this year. The things I gave to charity this spring would have paid for Christmas. I am trying to focus on gifts I know the kids will enjoy for more than just Christmas Day. It's hard though and with about 8 days left to shop,I am starting to PANIC

:eek:

Ugh,I pulled all my stuff out today and.....

I need to go shopping!

I haven't really spent all that much because I am determined not to buy stuff just so there are things under the tree. Things the kids ask for but I KNOW they will not play with for long are just not happening this year. The things I gave to charity this spring would have paid for Christmas. I am trying to focus on gifts I know the kids will enjoy for more than just Christmas Day. It's hard though and with about 8 days left to shop,I am starting to PANIC

:eek:

My Mom and I have been trying to do this with our family. We are very fortunate and have everything we could need or want. So we have focused on a few larger gifts versus a ton of smaller gifts that end up costing the same when you add it all up.

I've been trying to pick up bigger things for our stockings too. It has been a little difficult at times because I always see things I know they will enjoy, but I'm being good.:D

For my Niece and Nephews I have been buying clothing and books, I purchased more items then I planned on for them, but because of my fabulous shopping skills;) I stayed within budget. They get TONS of toys from everyone else so I stick with super cool clothes that Mom and Dad may not normally spend money on. Our oldest Nephew is getting a game worn football jersey from his favorite college team and we wish we could be there to see him open it and put it on. :D

Like most everyone else all of our gifts are paid for in cash, sometimes if DH orders something for me from a store that I will have an idea what the gift is when I see it on our bank statement (origins.com or uggaustralia.com for example) then he will put it on his card and then pay it off right away. We have always paid for gifts in full.

I've spent right around what we estimated. Our budget this year was $2000 and I'm at $1800 and some change :) Me and DH both have Christmas Club accounts and half of our $$ comes from there. I have 2 reward cc's that I use but they are paid off as soon as the purchase posts. I have the cash but like using the cards for the perks. Some people aren't able to do that (my friend who has no idea what a budget is) but it works for me.

I probably spent too much but my kids don't get gifts from anyone else. My Mother might buy them some clothes or a small toy but my in-laws do nothing so I tend to make it up by going overboard.

This is probably why I go overboard every year. Besides from me, DD doesn't get much from others. My mother and sister each get her a little something. Her dad will also buy her a few things but she usually keeps them at his house.

Actually, I feel the exact opposite. I have only one child (a two year old son) and I have been feeling that I haven't bought enough for the little tike. I've been trying to find a couple more gifts for him, but his age group is a hindrance, IMO. All the toys I see for his age group are baby in nature (again, IMO). My wife says I'm paranoid but I still feel like a scrooge! I am also one of us that have not used one credit card for gifts this year; I feel SOOOOO good about that! Edited by civiclover88
spelling mistake

I've spent more than some but a lot less than normal. It is actually making me feel guilty not spending as much.

See thats what happens to me.I spent about $2300.00 on my two kids but really didnt get junk.They got laptops and tvs and IPods and such.Video games clothes and my DD10 got lots of board games.I shopped smart this year.I only paid cash didnt use my C.C. so i dont feel guilty.I know i can work and make it up.

I have spent about 350 on each of my children and at first I thought that I went way over board on them but when I was thinking about it and realized that NONE of it was charged it was all cash I thought that was pretty good. They got some really really nice things! I am even still looking for more things for my youngest child shes only one and its a little harder for me to find things for her that I think that she will enjoy that I haven't already gotten her..lol..

Actually, I feel the exact opposite. I have only one child (a two year old son) and I have been feeling that I haven't bought enough for the little tike. I've been trying to find a couple more gifts for him, but his age group is a hindrance, IMO. All the toys I see for his age group are baby in nature (again, IMO). My wife says I'm paranoid but I still feel like a scrooge! I am also one of us that have not used one credit card for gifts this year; I feel SOOOOO good about that!

I don't put too much stock on the age groups that they place toys in. You know your child and know what they can or cannot handle. DS2 has several things that are for the 5-7 years age bracket and I know that they will be just fine for him. Same thing with DD6.

I don't really feel as though I have spent to much, but I do feel like I bought way to much. I had forgot about some of the stuff that I bought until I started pulling it all out a few days ago.

We normally spend about $1000.00 on each of the kids. That is counting their big gifts. I actually think I spent a little less than that this year, but they are getting a TON of stuff.

I'm with lakj98. I don't think I've spent too much, but we have waaaaayyyyy too much stuff. I was hoping to cut back this year, and we did- but not enough!

I buy most of mine w/ Amazon gift cards and deep discounts. I've spent about $300 OOP and retail was around $3,000. I still have $150 in Amazon GC that have to be used by 12/31- dang promotional discounts!

We're getting bicycles for DH, DD, and I- that was the most expensive part and I got all 3 half off. Other big ticket gifts were a digi cam, camcorder, flip, xbox360, and rockband. Everytime I think I'm done wrapping, I see another item on my list that I skipped and have to dig it back out!

Yes, I spent to much we always go overboard, Anything they ask for DH thinks we have to get it RIGHT now. But then blames me they get to much LOL. I dont mind though. I didnt get much as a child very few gifts mostly clothes even as a child because that is what my parents could afford. for many years my kids got NO clothes for christmas because to me clothes are not a gift but a need but now they ask for certain name brands so I buy those as gifts. I have no idea what we spent on the kids since one gift alone of Austin was over 800 dollars which was a gaming computer. And when I mean 800 dollars that is just for the tower, no monitor, keyboard or mouse . He is a big gamer , it has 8 gigs of RAM, we even added another video card on it because what was in was not top of the line. he is going to be so excited Edited by lovebears65

I feel a little nervous that I spent too much on the kids. I didn't put anything on the credit cards, but it is money I problably could have saved. My estimate is that I spent about 300 or more on each of the 4 kids. Should I be worried or just relax and move on??

I gave my teen boys a speech today...'this Christmas is the last hoorah so enjoy it because starting next month we are tightening our belts again....!'