Real Christmas Trees thread - merged (questions, pics...)

bugsette

You can cut a branch everyday, that should release a new smell. The smell usually comes from the new growth and since the tree is essentially dying, if you clip a branch that opens it up again. The smell leaves as it dries out. I wish you could keep the smell all year. I always am amazed that when I vacuum weeks after christmas it still smells from sucking up the needles that fell off the tree.

We get our real tree either on Black Friday or the following day every year and don't have any problems with it making it to Christmas. We put this powder stuff in the water than is supposed to extend the life of the tree (found at WM last year... don't know what its called, its bag was torn so its now in a Ziplock baggie) and it seems to maybe help some. Our tree seems as "fresh" today as it did the day we got it!

But we actually cut down our own tree, so that might make a difference... I know that there is a HUGE tree farm about 45 minutes from us that supposedly ships something like 25,000 Christmas trees to the east coast every year. I would guess that people buying those trees on the east coast won't have them last as long because they are cut down so much earlier, no water while transporting cross country, etc.

Edited by tn20
Correcting a typo

That IS perfect!

Some of my favorite childhood memories are of traipsing through the hills trying to find the "perfect" Christmas tree then Daddy would cut it off with this little folding saw he had and carry it all the way back to the truck.

Nothing beats the smell of a real tree!