Cookies for Santa

tn20

When my oldest DS was 2, I asked him what kind of cookies he wanted to leave for Santa. He decided that Santa would really like the cookies that I had made for our neighbors, and he was right. Christmas morning there was a note from Santa saying that those were his very favorite cookies and he looked forward to eating them again next year.

Ever since, at our house, Santa's favorite cookies are Raspberry Jam Thumbprints and Snickerdoodles. We get in and make them Christmas Eve morning (I make the ones for our neighbors, the boys help with the ones for Santa), then we package them up, deliver them to our neighbors with some homemade fudge, and put some aside for Santa, along with milk, egg nog, and veggies for the reindeer.

Before we put the cookies out for Santa, we read the story "Are You Grumpy, Santa?" which is REALLY cute... Santa is having a really bad night and is grumpy, but when he gets to a house where there are cookies and milk left for him, his grumpies go away because someone did something nice for him.

Do you have any traditions for leaving cookies for Santa?

We have a special plate and mug just for Santa, the only time it is used all year! Santa seems to love M&M cookies and milk at our house best for some reason. My 6 year old has been stirring in M&M's into cookies since he was 18 months old!

Here, Santa likes snowball cookies with mini-chocolate chips in them. He actually wrote DD6 a letter this year requesting those cookies! (and carrots/celery for the reindeer)

We've already made a few batches so she can practice making them for Santa on Christmas Eve.

They're VERY yummy!

well at our house santa likes oreos..lol..but he doesn't always get them because the kids always want to leave out the ones that they made.

I was just telling my kids this the other day...when I was little I had a letter from santa saying that he would like a beer instead of milk so we left him a beer and he drank it. My kids thought that was the funniest thing.

when I was little I had a letter from santa saying that he would like a beer instead of milk so we left him a beer and he drank it.

ROFL! Hopefully your house was the only one he got a beer at... don't want Santa too tipsy while climbing on roofs!

Nope - Santa always gets a beer at our house too. Not sure how it started but it is now the tradition! Last year my 7 year was concerned that Santa was drinking and driving. We had to explain that he just rides in the sleigh, the reindeers do all the steering.

Reading this thread, I so want to run to Target (5 min. from my house) and get oreos & tam tams :gdlicklips:

Over the years we have left Santa different types of cookies, but most often it is chocolate chips.

He has his own special mug and plate (snowman is on both)

Santa is very modest and might be "embarrassed" if his image was all over the plate & mug, like the National Inquirer ;)

We make sugar cookies shaped like snowmen or trees or whatever! Each kiddo decorates two cookies just for Santa and leaves them on a special Santa plate with milk in a special matching cup.

They also put a bowl of shredded carrots down by the tree for the reindeer. One year, those silly reindeer accidentally carried in some leaves ... What a mess we had to clean up, but the kids loved it. ;)

DS has told me he wants me to make my orange oatmeal cookies to leave out for Santa. I think I can manage that ;)

Oh my gosh, those sound SOOO good!!! I love orange flavored things and I loves me my oatmeal cookies! :gdlicklips:

I haven't eaten anything since 9 this morning and this thread was the wrong one to read right now.

Now I'm wanting snowball cookies, candy cane oreos, sugar cookies, peanut butter kisses, a bloomin onion (even though I have no idea what this is!), and a nice, cold beer!

Well, at our house we put out whatever cookies we have made, carrots for the reindeer, and a cold beer. The beer came from my sister who started leaving it at her house and my kids insisted that they needed to leave one at our house. Also, Santa never gets to eat the cookies at our house because the dumb dog eats them before Santa gets a chance.:no: We are going on four years straight no matter where we put them. She manages to leave part of the carrots with teeth marks at least! The kids think that the reindeer left them, but they do not know the dog ate the cookies. My Dh and I just laugh each year as the dog out smarts us all. Luckily, she hasn't gotten the beer yet!:D

we always leave chocolate chip cookies and milk for santa and the kids sprinkle the reindeer food ( dried oats and glitter mixed) outside on the sidewalk..which I always go and brush off or poor water on after kids go to bed..its funny because if I used water and its still wet in the area they say the reindeer peed there :tongue1:

This is so funny! In all my years I had no idea that Santa is apparently a functioning alcoholic!

I, however, shudder to think what beer and cookies taste like together... I think we'll stick with milk! I might set out some hangover relief remedies for him, though....

lol at my house I thought Santa only drank beer w/cookies till I grew up. XD

In my house we always left the cookies and a glass as my father said the milk would spoil if left out (and this is Florida and not always a cool Christmas). He would usually swirl milk or eggnog in the bottom of the glass to make it look used. If the cookies were good he probably actually drank a glass of cold milk (he loved to dip cookies in cold milk...).

Oh my gosh, those sound SOOO good!!! I love orange flavored things and I loves me my oatmeal cookies! :gdlicklips:

I haven't eaten anything since 9 this morning and this thread was the wrong one to read right now.

Now I'm wanting snowball cookies, candy cane oreos, sugar cookies, peanut butter kisses, a bloomin onion (even though I have no idea what this is!), and a nice, cold beer!

I'll be happy to send you the recipe if you'd like it :)

we use to do cookies ALONG time ago, but we have a big family dinner on XMAS eve and once when the kids were setting out the cookies my aunt (a dentist) "Maybe we should make Santa a plate, because he needs real food instead of always getting cookies from every house which can make his teeth rot out" so thats what they did and Santa left them a wonderful letter about how happy he was to get such a hearty meal since he couldnt have dinner with Mrs Claus and the Elves.

It freaked the kids out so now they always make him a plate of food (ham, mac and cheese, dressing, blackeyed peas or green beans and dinner roll) and a disposable toothbrush kit that has a cheapy toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, and travel sized mouthwash.

Even though the plate of foods gets eaten, it still kind of perturbs me that she said something like that and took the joy right out of a tradition we had done since I was a kid. Im really quit sick of everyone and these PC things, cookies and candy are bad for teeth, dont say Merry Christmas, blah blah blah. Sorry for the rant.

This is so funny! In all my years I had no idea that Santa is apparently a functioning alcoholic!

I, however, shudder to think what beer and cookies taste like together... I think we'll stick with milk! I might set out some hangover relief remedies for him, though....

lol Maybe an alka-seltzer

we use to do cookies ALONG time ago, but we have a big family dinner on XMAS eve and once when the kids were setting out the cookies my aunt (a dentist) "Maybe we should make Santa a plate, because he needs real food instead of always getting cookies from every house which can make his teeth rot out" so thats what they did and Santa left them a wonderful letter about how happy he was to get such a hearty meal since he couldnt have dinner with Mrs Claus and the Elves.

It freaked the kids out so now they always make him a plate of food (ham, mac and cheese, dressing, blackeyed peas or green beans and dinner roll) and a disposable toothbrush kit that has a cheapy toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, and travel sized mouthwash.

Even though the plate of foods gets eaten, it still kind of perturbs me that she said something like that and took the joy right out of a tradition we had done since I was a kid. Im really quit sick of everyone and these PC things, cookies and candy are bad for teeth, dont say Merry Christmas, blah blah blah. Sorry for the rant.

me too