What do you cook for Christmas dinner?

Jessity

Or what does your mom/grandma/wife/person whose home at which you eat Christmas dinner.. cook?

I have Christmas dinner at my mom's house. A few years ago we got tired of having ham or turkey and a repeat of all the Thanksgiving stuff so we had steaks on the grill, twice baked potatoes and some of our favorite sides. Last year there was a larger crew and she did prime rib and shrimp.

I guess I'm looking for some new ideas for food/traditions, etc. Do you have the same meal every year? Change it up a bit?

My sister is doing Christmas this year, so it will be a surprise for us. We have done ham/turkey dinners, lasagna, and beef stew before. It all depends on who is hosting and what they are in the mood for. I like the taco idea. I think that will be my plan for Christmas Eve when it is just me, DH, and the kids.

The kids are always excited on Christmas so we don't do a big sit-down meal. We'll have a crock pot of shredded chicken sandwiches, cheesy potatoes, shrimp dip, teeny weenies & smokies in bbq sauce, dips, meat & cheese tray. Just stuff to snack on throughout the day. Plus all the Christmas candies and cookies we've all made.

Chr-stmas is not my tradition, and Paul has respected that.

However, his father spends the day with us, so we do a secular version for him.

Dinner on Chr-stmas day generally consists of:

Appetizers

Deviled eggs

Cheese, apples, grapes and club crackers

Hard salami, sliced thin

Soup

Still deciding

We really liked the Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup I fixed for Thanksgiving, but I think I'll please Beorn and do Matzah Ball, vegetable and egg noodle soup. His favorite.

Salad

Spring greens with grape tomatoes, craisins, chevré, and chopped pecans

dressed with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar then topped with fresh cracked mixed pepper corns, a sprinkling of kosher sea salt, and some gratede romano

Entreé

Standing rib roast

aged for three days per Alton Brown

roasted per Tyler Florence

Sides

Yorkshire pudding!

Garlic mashed potatoes

Scalloped cabbage (Paul's dad really liked that at Thanksgiving)

Corn pudding

and I'm debating between southern-style green beans again or sauteéd broccoli

No bread, we just don't need it

No dessert

Spiked eggnog for later in the evening...

We always have a regular dinner for Thanksgiving, but for Christmas everyone brings a little bit of everything... cheese and crackers, various items to make sandwiches (chicken salad, pimento cheese), ham, deviled eggs, different candies and desserts, just a little bit of everything. It's pretty much just finger foods for Christmas. And then we get together for New Years Eve for a "game night" where we bring the Wii, Seinfeld Scene it and other games. On that night we may do a Mexican theme where we bring tacos, enchiladas, nachos, etc. Or we may choose to cookout hot dogs. We change that up.

We do a "repeat" of Thanksgiving. My boys (and this includes DH!) would be crushed if we didn't! Turkey, ham, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, pecan & pumpkin pies...

Not only do they not get tired of doing the same thing over again (on top of eating leftovers for days after Thanksgiving and Christmas), but they insist that I get in and make Christmas dinner in July every year... then we spend that day watching Christmas DVDs. Its so much fun!

The kids are always excited on Christmas so we don't do a big sit-down meal. We'll have a crock pot of shredded chicken sandwiches, cheesy potatoes, shrimp dip, teeny weenies & smokies in bbq sauce, dips, meat & cheese tray. Just stuff to snack on throughout the day. Plus all the Christmas candies and cookies we've all made.

same here we mostly do finger goods, plus i do a ham and sandwitch fixing for it (rolls, cheese plate, relish tray) and some deserts, Christmas is a laid back meal for us.

we usually have a family get together with a sit down meal. This year we have decided that since the kids 5 and under outnumber the adults that we are going to keep it to our two favorite courses....appetizers and deserts! I'm sure we will still have tons of goodies and nobody will go hungry.

We'll be home on Christmas Eve this year- I think. We were last year, so we want to start a new tradition. At one Christmas, we do breakfasts, another we do ham sandwiches, and the other is seafood- grilled and fried shrimp (flown in) and a fish fry.

I have been running ideas by the family all day.. nothing decided yet!

Christmas Eve = traditional Polish stuff...in other words fish, fish, and more fish :( With boiled potatoes, vegetables, and some kind of thing the name of which I can't spell that has barley, peas, and caramelized onions.

Christmas Day = pretty much whatever. Usually a turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, etc, plus lasagna or ziti...heck, pretty much whatever the aunts decide on hehe!

Christmas Eve is always just me and the kids (hubby always has to work), and we just have yummy snacks throughout the night. Christmas dinner is always something different, such as:

Italian with a pasta bar, salads, bread and dipping oil, etc....

Chinese (that we make ourselves- we buy things from local Asian markets)

Mexican

Christmas around the world (everyone has to pick a traditional Christmas dish from a different country)

favorite appetizers

Pacific Northwest (salmon, crab legs, clam chowder....)

Breakfast on Christmas morning is always cinnamon rolls, mixed fresh fruit, and sparkling apple cider

Christmas Eve = traditional Polish stuff...in other words fish, fish, and more fish :( With boiled potatoes, vegetables, and some kind of thing the name of which I can't spell that has barley, peas, and caramelized onions.

Christmas Eve is at my house and I do an enormous batch of pierogi and salisbury steak. Everyone loves it and I'm not "allowed" to change the menu!

Christmas Eve is a traditional polish feast called "Wigilia." I make dill pickle soup, pierogi, fish, cucumbers & cream, dessert.

Christmas Day is usually pork roast, festive potatoes, salads. But, this year, I want to do something different. Thinking a taco bar or huge salad bar with all the fixings:-) Pies, cheesecake too.

Christmas Eve is a traditional polish feast called "Wigilia." I make dill pickle soup, pierogi, fish, cucumbers & cream, dessert.

Cucumbers and cream - what's this? (Probably sounds like a dumb question but my mom makes a cold cucumber dish and I'm wondering if yours is the same. She says her dad used to make it [her family is Polish] and I always wondered where it came from because I don't know anyone else who makes it.) One of my favorite things!

I've already posted about Christmas dinner but dh and I decided for Christmas Eve this year we will probably do finger foods as the boys will probably hang out online with friends etc or watch tv with me until I can get them in bed. I'm thinking potato skins, wings and maybe a salad or something to get some kind of veggie in...