St. Nick

shopping4my3son

Just curious if anyone else does stockings for St. Nick?

It's tradition here to get an ornament and some candy. I've also started doing a little gift also. Oldest DS is getting 2 posters, middle one is getting a movie, 3rd also a movie. DH is getting a new Tracfone I picked up for $10 on BF. And I collect Christmas themed snowglobes so there will be one in my stocking. Walmart also has some cheap stocking stuffer type toys/puzzles that I added for each kid.

I also picked up some Ovaltine and A Christmas Story Fudge that Walgreen's had on sale this week since that's our favorite movie I thought it would be cute to have some when we watch the movie this year.

We do shoes in front of the fireplace. St. Nick brings candy and a couple small toys.

We still do stockings on Christmas too. I didn't grow up Catholic, so I wanted to keep that tradition even though we are Catholic and do St. Nick.

This is a tough one. I never heard of the pre-Christmas Eve St. Nick when I was growing up. I just thought that he and Santa were the same guy. Now we live in an area where St. Nick visits everyone on Dec. 5. DD heard about him in school, is convinced that he came last year, and is sure he will be here this year, too. When does he usually come? Is it the night of 12/4 or the night of 12/5?

This is a tough one. I never heard of the pre-Christmas Eve St. Nick when I was growing up. I just thought that he and Santa were the same guy. Now we live in an area where St. Nick visits everyone on Dec. 5. DD heard about him in school, is convinced that he came last year, and is sure he will be here this year, too. When does he usually come? Is it the night of 12/4 or the night of 12/5?

Night of the 5th after the kids go to bed.

It is more of a midwest tradition from what I've read. I've lived in WI all may life so St. Nick came when I was young and I've kept it going with my kids.

I have no idea what you all are talking about.......we fill stockings on x-mas eve and thats it. Is this something you do on a different day???

Yes, it's different. St. Nick comes the night of December 5th and that's when we put out our stockings. I grew up Catholic so we've always celebrated it. I've always had the assumption that Santa Claus was based off of St. Nick or Sinterklass as I grew up hearing about in stories in school and at home.

St. Nick is more of a German tradition. I am not Catholic, but I always had a stocking filled on the morning of the 6th growing up. It is HUGE here in SW Ohio...because it is mostly people of German decent living here and Catholics.

Normally, I used to get candy, fruit, and little lip glosses and hair things.

This year, my girls are getting xmas socks, hat/gloves, candy, hair bows, and a small toy.

http://bayberryfolkart.com/santahistory.aspx

We grew up doing stocking Christmas Eve. I never heard of St Nick filling stockings until my brother met my sil. Her kids did St Nick at their house and Grandparents filled stocking at their house for Christmas day.

Here is another question. Do you kids get stockings at home and at the grandparents?

Since we have grown up and had kids my parents kept filling our stockings and added the grandkids as they came along. Now my Mom just fills the grandkids stockings if they are in high school or younger. I fill stockings for my daughter, son in law and both grandkids. I just couldn't give up filling a stocking for my daughter so just added the others in.

How neat! I've never even heard of this before (I live on the west coast and am not Catholic). I'd be tempted to do this for my kids, but I'm sure DS7 would tell everyone at school that Santa came by early (to him, St. Nicholas and Santa are two different names for the same person) and all his friends would think he was crazy... or be upset because St. Nick didn't pay them an early visit, too. ;)

We grew up doing stocking Christmas Eve. I never heard of St Nick filling stockings until my brother met my sil. Her kids did St Nick at their house and Grandparents filled stocking at their house for Christmas day.

Here is another question. Do you kids get stockings at home and at the grandparents?

Since we have grown up and had kids my parents kept filling our stockings and added the grandkids as they came along. Now my Mom just fills the grandkids stockings if they are in high school or younger. I fill stockings for my daughter, son in law and both grandkids. I just couldn't give up filling a stocking for my daughter so just added the others in.

Our kids only get stockings from DH and I only. My DH and I grew up in the same town but his family didn't do St. Nick. He never heard of it until we met.

Last year I even saw signs up at Walmart with a reminder of the date of when St. Nick was coming.

I've always done this growing up and now with my children, I am catholic and my great-great grandparents did immigrate here from Germany. We set out shoes and the kids get chocolate coins, nuts, fruit and 1 or 2 small (stocking stuffer size) toys

Yes...we will be participating as our family is both Catholic and German and we live in the Midwest...lol

However ours is just a tad different...

We use our stockings, as a child when I was growing up our stockings were the very first "Christmas decoration" to come out. St. Nicholas comes on the 5th for the morning of the 6th. We've always left out our "lists" for St. Nick with our stocking and in return if the children have been good they will receive sweets.

My kids haven't remembered this year yet...which is great because it will be fun to surprise them!

I do St. Nick with with my kids and my parents did it with me growning up however we didn't put our shoes out we always did our stocking and then they would be at the foot of our bed in the morning when we woke up and I always had a orange,or banana, chap stick and some candy in it and maybe a lottery ticket. nothing too much. My kids haven't rememberd yet but my ds6 goes to a catholic school (the same one I went to growing up and we did it at school) I'm sure they will also do it fri.

The kids set out their shoes and St. Nick brings CANDY only (90% off Halloween candy hehe)! Even my big ol' 18 y.o. son puts his shoe out :)

The younger ones put out both shoes for extra candy but St. Nick only puts it in one shoe!

I think that's funny. LOL:)

I don't think I'd want to eat anything (wrapped or not) out of any of my kids shoes. Especially the 15 yr old boy. :yuck:

We'll stick to stockings. LOL

St Nick? My DD believes that he will come this year. He hasn't come in the past because we didn't know about him. I didn't hear about him until we moved to WI. Now that we know and claim to believe, she is convinced that he is coming. We aren't sure when, though, so she has been checking her stocking every day!

There is another thread here: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=160727