Mashed potatoes

bugsette

Russet potatoes are a must for fluffy potatoes... I peel them and immediately chop into uniform 2 inch pieces and toss into boiling salted water (just a dash - like you would for boiling pasta). Boil until you can poke them easily with a fork but they still hold their shape. Drain. Put back in pot but turn off the heat; the residual heat from the stove will be good to help evaporate some of the water left on the potatoes - but don't burn, as others have warned here. Then I just use some milk (I heat up a mug-full of milk in the microwave; I even use fat-free), add it in slowly as you mash a little at a time. Then add whatever else you'd like - butter, cheese, salt, pepper, etc. Taste it as you go along! :) I mash by hand and leave some chunks for extra texture.

I use can cream..evaporated milk..... in mine....my girls can live in homemade mash tators... I just hate peeling them...lol.....

I use evaporated milk in mine too, either Pet brand or Carnation.

A word of warning, if you decide to use the evaporated milk, don't be confused with condensed milk. After listening to me and another friend go on about using the evaporated milk, she decided to try it, only she got condensed milk. Needless to say, the mashed taters were thrown in the garbage.

A word of warning, if you decide to use the evaporated milk, don't be confused with condensed milk. After listening to me and another friend go on about using the evaporated milk, she decided to try it, only she got condensed milk. Needless to say, the mashed taters were thrown in the garbage.

oh no!

I always have to make mashed potatoes for every family dinner/party we have and funny thing is I dont boil them lol

Tasha's Total Taters

3lbs red new potatoes (washed, skin on do not peel)

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/4 cup olive oil

kosher salt

course ground black pepper

1 tablesppon crushed or minced garlic

heavy whipping cream

1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/4 block softened cream cheese

2 tablespoons chives or chopped green onion stalks

1 pakage of pre-cooked bacon (crumble or rough chop it up you dont have to use the whole package if you dont want to)

Preheat oven to 400. Combine olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic in a plastic bag or large bowl and mix well and sit it to the side. Throughly was potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel or let air dry.

Use olive oil mixture to completly coat the potatoes. Place potatoes in baking dish/pan and use a fork to poke holes in the potatoes. (Once per potato with the fork is enough). Pour the chicken broth into the pan and cover with lid or aluminum foil. Place in oven and cook for approx 30 mins or until potatoes are soft (think baked potato). Remove from oven

Drain the broth off of the potatoes and cut them in halves with the skin still on. Put potatoes into a large mixing bowl with cream cheese and 4 tablespoons heavy cream. Begin to mash them with a hand masher or use a hand mixer. While mashing add a little more heavy cream at a time until they are almost to the consistancy you want.

Next mix in bacon, chives, and cheese. Continue to mix until they are the consitancy you want. Serve with a dolp (lol) of sour cream on top.

The trick to really creamy mashed potatoes can also be contributed to mashing them while they are still hot.

I've never heard of not boiling them...do they taste any different if you do them in the oven?

I might have to try this sometime.

You get more of a potatoey taste i would say. I know that sounds funny but you know how with boiling them sometimes you can taste the watered down starch I guess you could say.

I use yukon gold potatoes, after I peel them I slice them up and put them in cold water in the cooking pot with no salt. I put the pot on the burner and boil them until you can put a fork through the potato slices but not until they are mushy. Drain in a colander sitting over the pot and let sit for 5 mins or so to make sure they are drained well. I then put them in a large mixing bowl with a full stick of butter for up to 5 pounds of potato and enough heavy cream to make them creamy. I mash with a hand masher at first and then whip them with the wire whisk attachment on my mixer. I let everyone add their own salt and pepper at dinner but the heavy cream and real butter are a must.

I've never heard of not boiling them...do they taste any different if you do them in the oven?

I might have to try this sometime.

I make twice baked potatoes sometimes by baking the potato, cleaning out the filling and adding sour cream, cheddar cheese, and bacon to the mixture and mixing it with the electric mixer but leaving some lumps for the baked potato like texture. Then I restuff the skins and bake them for 20 mins. My 8 year old LOVES them this way.