Mashed potatoes

bugsette

I can tell you that I use Russet potatoes and use a hand mixer. Milk & Butter (alittle at a time) salt and pepper. My nephews in their 20's rave about my potatoes.

Some people add a tablespoon of sour cream but I dont. ALso if you want to you can boil garlic in the water with the potatoes for a garlic flavor.

Here's what I do - boil the potatoes, drain and put back on burner that's been turned off for about 45 seconds to dry them out a bit. Watch carefully, because the bottom can burn. Then, use handmixer to mix and add butter, a bit of milk and I add cream cheese. These potatoes are AWESOME. They are extremely creamy. For a crowd, I'll put them in a crock pot on low to keep warm.

Enjoy!

I boil them at least 40 minutes....

I sit out a quarter of butter while they are boiling.

I always use real butter!

I take a HAND MASHER thing (some people have never seen one, they can be bought for $1-$10) and rapidly hand mash them first... THIS HELPS SOOO MUCH--hand mixers can miss the big clumps of potato....

I pour about 1/2 of mug full of milk (2% or more is better) in a coffee mug, and I microwave it for like 30 seconds....

-the amount of milk/butter varies depending on how many potatoes you are doing.

Then while mixing I put in about 1/2 the milk and then 1/2 the butter mix more....and then the remaining of the two.

My dad said the secret to no lumps is making sure you warm up the butter and the milk. and HE MAKES WONDERFUL MASHATATERS :gdlicklips:

Hope this helps.

I only use red or yellow potatoes anymore--they are so much more creamier than regular old russets. Mmmmm. I also use a mixer--butter, milk (we use rice milk). Milk a little at a time or it gets too runny. Salt and pepper. Sometimes I change it up a bit and dice up some green onions and throw in a couple tablespoons of sour cream (we use soy). I've just noticed that more and more the regular russets from the store just don't taste good to me--flavor or texture. Might be just my store and whoever the grower is, but I only go with red or yellow now. Huge difference to me.

You may be cooking your potatoes too long.They can get water logged and will become soupy/watery with no taste.

That may have happened to me a few times, so I have to watch myself. . .

My dad always told me to remove the starch that floats to the top of the pot....and

that the potatoes are done when you stick a fork in one piece and can easily tap that piece off of the fork...

but I almost always cook them for at least 40 min...

How about the rest of you.

(by the way I use a big like 5 quart pot) :yup:

Okay,I use NO milk or cream,just the potato water (drain pretty well until there is just a little bit left in the pot). I do boil mine for a pretty long time.

LOTS of real butter,sour cream (hehe) and coarse ground salt and pepper.

When I am feeling under the weather,these mashed potatoes and my homemade macaroni and cheese are the ONLY things I want to eat! Ultimate comfort food.

This is how I make them for Thanksgiving and everyone loves them or so they say...

Peel a 10lb bag of potatoes, rinse them off, then dice them, boil til soft (check with fork), drain most all of the water except about a cup, mash down a bit with a masher, add about a cup and a half of butter, about a half cup of water which was set aside and a half a cup of milk, add salt, pepper and then make sure no one is in the kitchen and add about a cup of Hellman's, mix it well with a mixer. If they seem a bit thick add more water/milk. Adjust accordingly depending upon how much your cooking.

Edited by aprncess

I can tell you that I use Russet potatoes and use a hand mixer. Milk & Butter (alittle at a time) salt and pepper. My nephews in their 20's rave about my potatoes.

Some people add a tablespoon of sour cream but I dont. ALso if you want to you can boil garlic in the water with the potatoes for a garlic flavor.

I use the same ingredients.. make sure u drain the water off good too

Boil potatoes -drain. Boil some milk until hot not bubbling--add some milk not alot. I don't measure anything. Add butter, cream cheese and salt and pepper and use a masher. That's it--they are soooo good. key is milk needs to be hot not cold!!!!

Lots of good advice above, just wanted to add in the only "trick" I sometimes use that isn't mentioned here: if you add too much liquid when mixing them, you can either carefully attempt to heat them up more and evaporate the extra liquid.... or add a small amount of potato flakes (instant potatoes) to thicken them back up! If you do add potato flakes, be sure to add VERY gradually and mix them in really well each time so you'll know if you need more. As long as you don't use too much of them (and make sure to add them while the mixture is still hot), no one should be able to tell the difference! ;)

the key is to not cook out all of the starch. One way to do this is not to cut them too small. Cook bigger pieces - may have to cook a bit longer, but so worth it.

I make mine with cream, butter, sour cream, ranch salad dressing, cheddar cheese and bacon bits.

Ok I'm coming to your house to eat!:yup: