Angel Tree / Adopting a Family Thread

tinkrbel

Where is everyone getting their angels from? I have yet to see one angel tree, with the exception of the "patrolling for presents" that some local PD's have put out. I thought walmart use to put out the angel trees but i havent seen one in wm in years.

we got the family we are adopting from a local church (see thread: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=153113)

At work (see thread: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=148637) we've selected 8 tags from the Salvation Army tree (there are 2 trees at work - it is a big building) they are also at Walmart, and the local radio stations announce some ... something like 1 an hour, trying to get sponsors.

The Salvation Army Angel tree is allowing you to adopt online now. But hurry. Gifts need to be turned in by December 14th. We usually adopt a child through my job, but we wanted to help out someone in our area this year, so we adopted 2 little girls from the Salvation Army website. We really enjoyed shopping for them and will definitely be doing it again next year. I found some killer deals! I think our angels will be very happy: gifts include, clothes from Old Navy and Children's Place, a 3 story fully furnished Barbie dollhouse for the younger one, and for the older, a Zune, which I am going to preload with lots of my DD's favorite music, movies, and music videos w/ accessories for it (DD was very concerned that the child wouldn't have a computer or money to be able to get music, so we decided to preload it. She is about the same age as DD so I think there's a high possibility they are into that same Radio Disney/pop music).

I work in Law Enforcement and we adopted about 350 people for our location. I know a lot of our younger/newer officers aren't able to purchase like the rest of us and the trees are sitting a little longer than than in past years. I'm sure most agencies do this and you could probably walk in and ask to help out with their program. I know we would allow it. If you don't want to get a specific person with a specific request, you could always do Toys 4 Tots...they will take anything! They also will gladly take your help working at the distribution center and filling orders when families come in. I buy good quality toys all year at dirt cheap prices for T4T and then my husband and I both pick a few off the tree as well at Christmas time.

Since our local Angel tree is out of tags (except 3 that are requesting things like phone airtime cards,lol) I decided the kids and I are going to go shopping for our local SPCA! I am so excited! I clipped tons of pet item coupons last night,lol.

We got a family from a local elementary school. My mom works at the school, so she is able to look through the families and lists, and then let us know what's available. This year we have a family with 6 kids; 5 girls and 1 boy, ages 2 to 10 years old.

We also donate to Toys-For-Tots. We've always done this in the past, but now we really have to because my brother-in-law is a Marine! lol!

Where is everyone getting their angels from? I have yet to see one angel tree, with the exception of the "patrolling for presents" that some local PD's have put out. I thought walmart use to put out the angel trees but i havent seen one in wm in years.

Our church has one and I heard that Walgreens has one for the elderly in nursing homes.

I don't know if it's local to my area or nationwide, but I heard on the local news that the Salvation Army is extending their deadline for "the first time ever." As of yesterday, the Angel Tree in our mall still had about 1/3 of the original number of angels still waiting to be bought for! :(

So a guy friend and I are planning to go get an Angel from that tree tonight, then go on a mini-shopping spree... since we'll also be buying for FIVE teen boys from another program in my hometown (about 30 miles away)!! Each year, my home church does food baskets for 3-4 families in the area, and I bring the kids' names and wish lists to my office for my coworkers and myself to buy gifts for. This year there were 10 kids, and I've already bought for a 9 yr old girl; these 5 boys are ones that some of the men in the office gave money toward gifts for. I don't know if I have enough to buy as much as I'd like... but my guy friend said he'll help me cover the rest if I'll help him with shopping for the Angel Tree child. :)

So it sounds like I'll be shopping till I drop this weekend! LOL I just wish I had more experience shopping for teen boys....

We went to the local town hall Human Services department and adopted a family. It was so much fun shopping for them, and imagining their faces on xmas morning. :) I even found really cute felt bags that said Express Delivery from the North Pole on them. I hope that family has a really Merry Christmas! :)