Angel Tree / Adopting a Family Thread

tinkrbel

The angel I picked up says Dora/Barbie/princess doll. Do you think they would be just as happy/happier to receive a few of the disney princess nursery dolls rather than a full size doll? I don't think it would make a bit of difference and this way would have multiple dolls to play with but maybe someone with the experience of kids can enlighten me. The tag says 5yrs old.

I'm not sure what the nursery dolls are but if they don't look "grown up" I would probably stick with the full size dolls. She may have an older sister or friend with the full size dolls and want to play with them. There will probably be lots of Barbies and princess dolls on sale in the weeks coming up.

Our family adopted a family for Christmas this year because in the past we have just adopted one person from like an angel tree (each kid would pick one) and then we'd worry they weren't all getting similar amounts etc... So this year we took a family. Well, the wish list is ALL gift certificates, plus some 2T/3T clothes for the child. WTH??? I don't want to just give them money, I want to shop! I want to get them way more for the money, this is like my addiction being used for greater good :yup: But if I have to just go buy them gift certificates, it won't work that way. So, poop. I am just here griping. It'd be nice to have some actual presents to buy instead, but I know nothing about them other than their gender, no age, hobbies, size etc...

Just had to gripe...

Is there anyway to pick a different family? I would definitely not be happy with that either, we do pick an angel off a tree at Walmart every year sometimes 2. I can see how they would like GC to buy stuff they need but at the same time I don't think that is the only requests they should have put down either. It just doesn't seem right.

Is there anyway to pick a different family?

Yeah, I'd check into that...

Many well-meaning people who don't posess MidwestMama's shopping skills would relish the idea/ease of just buying gift certificates and that warm fuzzy feeling.

So, MidwestMama, if you don't exchange, it's like you are stealing the joy of a job well done by some other kind sould who happens to hate to shop.

;)

We pick up things when they are really clearanced out. Last year I got Bratz dolls for $3 a piece at Target. I picked up 20+ of them. My boys gave them away at birthday parties and they left overs we picked names off the salvation army tree. They had what the child wanted on the tag so we searched the tree for tags that had bratz dolls on them and took about 10 of them. Maybe they want giftcards so they can give them to other family members as presents from their family. Like to :Grandma from: the smith family....no idea.

It is from a children's cancer group, they are assigned to us. You don't get to choose who gets them and all families were mailed out to their gift givers today. Most families are adopted by companies. So, I can't go in tomorrow and say, can I have a different families who'd like GIFTS? I went through my gift closet/room today to see what I have that works, I am set to adopt an army, of the right people! ;) I found some scenty soap/lotion sets from the Body Shop, some kids books, Build a Bear gift cards (remember that deal last year?) etc... but I have little 2T girls clothes. I don't mind that, I can go shop for that, but I don't have any generic male gifts etc... I'm thinking of asking them to contact the family and ask if there are any gifts they'd like, do they have a DVD player? (I have a lot of DVDs) etc...

I'll make this work somehow, but they'd get a lot more value of gifts than they will in gift cards because I can't get them on good deals. :( This is much less fun.

We are really really really cutting down on our purchases this year, so I was looking forward to shopping for this family as my one thing I got to go shopping for on Friday. I'm seriously considering not even going this year (I have most of our shopping done and we're moving in a few months so don't want to have it all in my house when I'm trying to sell it)

Just a thought...but you know how much you love to shop to find and give the gifts? This family probably does too but is unable to do so. By giving them gift cards, you are giving them the gift to be able to buy things their family has wanted throughout the year. You gave them the most valuable gift...the gift of being able to do something they really wish to do.

I went to the radio station and looked- Dang you're good :g_clap: This will come in handy getting for my son who's in FL this year.

Yep... They do get you on shipping though. Last time I ordered it was $3.75 shipping per certificate and you can't combine shipping to save on costs, even though I ordered three certs.

We're talking about rectangles of plastic like a credit card or slips of paper -- it's not like they sell bowling balls... IMHO, it should be $3.75 per order, but what can you do?

Here is their list

"Mom & Dad

Items Requested

Gift Card to Wal-Mart to buy clothes for themselves

Gift Card to Old Chicago

General Items Requested

Gift Cards for Gas - QuikStar & Kum-n-Go

Gift Cards for Grocries – Hy-Vee"

We pick this organization because they adopted us when our son was diagnosed and it was so helpful. They give you a long questionaire to fill out asking for each person's size, hobbies, taste, etc... I wondered if perhaps they didn't want to list their size, perhaps they were overweight. But there were lots and lots of places to list information and they have turned all that info on to me, so it must be all they answered.

I'll still get them some gifts, and I do get that it is nice to be able to do your own shopping and when your child is sick with cancer, you really don't care about getting yourself anything, it is all about your children.

I'll stop whining and try to just buy basics that anyone can use and really get wonderful gifts for the daughter. I am sure that is what they want anyways.

Here is their list

"Mom & Dad

Items Requested

Gift Card to Wal-Mart to buy clothes for themselves

Gift Card to Old Chicago

General Items Requested

Gift Cards for Gas - QuikStar & Kum-n-Go

Gift Cards for Grocries – Hy-Vee"

We pick this organization because they adopted us when our son was diagnosed and it was so helpful. They give you a long questionaire to fill out asking for each person's size, hobbies, taste, etc... I wondered if perhaps they didn't want to list their size, perhaps they were overweight. But there were lots and lots of places to list information and they have turned all that info on to me, so it must be all they answered.

I'll still get them some gifts, and I do get that it is nice to be able to do your own shopping and when your child is sick with cancer, you really don't care about getting yourself anything, it is all about your children.

I'll stop whining and try to just buy basics that anyone can use and really get wonderful gifts for the daughter. I am sure that is what they want anyways.

I didn't know there still was an Old Chicago.....Where is it?

I understand how you feel. I like turning $100 bill into $300 in gifts!

That makes me curious. Only because people sell GCs on eBay and such, so.. I guess I just don't trust people that much anymore.

I'm doing something similar in helping various families (not just one family, but giving families what I have that they need). For this program, very few ask for GCs, most are asking for clothes for their children, some toys and then sheets, shoes, and other necessities. These people expect used items, which is why I am able to participate. But in years past, when I did the giving tree and such, I, like you, enjoyed the shopping part of it.

That makes me curious. Only because people sell GCs on eBay and such, so.. I guess I just don't trust people that much anymore.

I'm doing something similar in helping various families (not just one family, but giving families what I have that they need). For this program, very few ask for GCs, most are asking for clothes for their children, some toys and then sheets, shoes, and other necessities. These people expect used items, which is why I am able to participate. But in years past, when I did the giving tree and such, I, like you, enjoyed the shopping part of it.

I can understand some peoples hesitation on GC. At the elderly property I manage there are 40 units, every one of them asked for either Walmart or K-mart or Hyvee giftcards some even asked for the dollar store. They prefer these to other items as it helps set off thier limited funds to get things

You can look at it this way too - do you think they LIKE having to ask for gas and grocery gift cards? I'm sure they put in a lot of miles going to cancer treatments. The Old Chicago gift cards could be because it's close to the medical center? Just trying to see the good in it.

My son attends ECEAP preschool (low income) and they sent home a form to fill out if we wanted to be added to the Giving Tree. Very clearly and in bold is stated that it's better not to ask for gift cards as they are the last to be filled. I took that to mean not only last but not always filled. I think that is probably true and each organization should make that very clear to the needy families.

A few years ago under better financial times, some friends and I adopted a family. Each one of us took one family member and probably spent around $100 on gifts for them. Except for the person that had the mom. She spent close to $200 because it was a single mom trying to enter the workforce and my friend was buying a lot of work outfits for her. If we were asked to just give GC, I know there is no way I would of just handed over $100 in GC. I probably would have only given half or less of what I actually spent.

• 2 weeks later...
We have a tree up at the customer service desk at our local Walmart. I went to get a tag off the tree and there were only 3 left!! I ended up not choosing one though because of what they were asking for......1 was Verizon cell phone minutes, one was Xbox 360 games (I wouldn't know what they already had) & I forget what the other was. I wanted to shop for a little girl who wanted dolls or Barbies,lol. I am hoping they put more up but I guess there were almost 100 up the lady at the desk said and they were almost all gone within 2 days!