Cash, Credit, Debit, Check, Giftcard... How will you be paying on BF?

AudreyNicole

Last year, I only had about $100 to spend on BF, and I was comfortable carrying around that amount in cash. This year, I have been saving, so I have more money in the budget and I am not comfortable carrying around alot of cash... I do have a debit card, but what happens if the computers go down, and I can't pay using my card? I have been thinking alot about it, and wondering how the majority of other BF shopping handle their money while shopping? What do you do?

I used cash last year, and will be doing the same this year. I can get into a LOT of trouble just using my debit card, I would be likely to overspend that way.

I would say if you don't feel comfortable carrying around too much money (not sure how much is too much) but maybe you can just take out a little at a time and then get the rest from an atm? The only thing I can think of.

I used cash last year, and will be doing the same this year. I can get into a LOT of trouble just using my debit card, I would be likely to overspend that way.

I would say if you don't feel comfortable carrying around too much money (not sure how much is too much) but maybe you can just take out a little at a time and then get the rest from an atm? The only thing I can think of.

I try to use cash. I too could get into too much trouble with a debit card! I have a list and bring that much, maybe a little bit more. Another thing I do is if I'm going to a bunch of stores I bring in only the cash I need and leave the rest in the car. ;)

Debit card only, cash seems to confuse the cashiers, plus cash takes too long after they look at it in the light then run the brown marker through it or use the scan light. I will be loading up my car using a debit card by the time the cashier is still verifying someone else’s cash. :)

I will be using it all. I have gift cards that I save up throughout the year (usually ones I got as incentives). I bring about $300.00 in cash as I hate using my card for small purchases.

then I bring my debit card for the large purchases.

I also bring a few credit cards. I don't really sue them unless I go way over my budget. But I bring them just as a backup.

I was thinking about it and since I know about how much I want to spend I'm planning to pick up gift cards to each of the stores I'm shopping at from my grocery store & get 10 cents off per gallon of gas per $50 in cards. Then I'll pay any extra I owe with my debit card & maybe a little cash, I suppose. And then... I'll go get my really cheap tank of gas! :)

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!

Niccole :gdflower3:

I use my debit card, maybe cash for small purchases (under $20ish, starbuck perhaps?) and have never had an issue with the system going down. I don't carry a purse that day and wouldn't want to worry about money slipping out of my pocket so I don't take much cash. Maybe you can carry a checkbook with you in case the computers go down? I don't know for sure that they still do, but stores used to take checks without computers verifying them first.

credit card. cash back... we pay it off every month, so no interest...

I do the same. Husband budgets and puts away money all year for my major shopping excursion! I will also take a little cash along to pay for small purchases, breakfast/lunch/sodas, etc.

This is the first year that I've had a debit card during BF. So what I think I am going to do is take some cash for smaller purchases. I am going to get a Walmart giftcard for what I expect to spend plus around 20 or so extra on it. And I am going to put some stuff on my debit card. I do not really like taking that much cash around on that day. Before the debit card, my biggest fear was losing the money..

I will have a small amount of cash on me to be on the safe side. I will mainly use my debit card unless some stores give you extra amounts off if you use their card( ie- macys, childrens place, gap)..so I will use my credit for that and then pay it off when I get home! Too much cash could be scary, plus if you use a card and loose your reciept they can find it in the system, if u use cash..no such luck!