Teachers what do you want

allshoppedout

Thanks everyone for your many responses, I have so many good ideas now.

And I had never heard of a Tervis tumbler until this thread--learn sump-n new evryday!:)

I had never heard of the tumblers either although I've seen similar stuff in high end gift shops... Ordered 2, beach santa mug for me for work and a gator tumber (24 oz) for dh for what ever he wants.....

I am a teacher and the best gift I ever received was just a card and nice letter from a student. I still have it 15 years later. I personally don't want to receive gifts, I am a high school teacher perhaps that is why. For my own kids in Elementary school, we gift gift baskets with mugs, coffees, teas, and sometime of chocolate.

As a teacher myself I would suggest that you stay away from anything with apples on it or things that say something on it about teachers because most likely if he/she has been teaching for a few years he/she has a TON of this stuff! Over the years I have taught second grade and preschool and I personally LOVE the stuff the kids pick out themselves! I got the tackiest ceramic eagle one year that a little boy picked out at Dollar Tree but he was SO proud of it and so eager to give it to me that it just meant the world to me! This year my daughter is in Kindergarten and we purchased snowman mugs and she is going to help me make Snowman Soup for her teachers. Usually the special teachers (librarian, art, music, phys. ed., secretaries, principal, nurse, custodian, bus driver.) get forgotten at the holidays but buying for everyone can get expensive so we make snowman soup for everyone! The total cost for 10 mugs of Snowman Soup $20!!! We will also get a little something for her teacher too probably a gc for a manicure or some Bath and body stuff!

As a teacher myself I would suggest that you stay away from anything with apples on it or things that say something on it about teachers because most likely if he/she has been teaching for a few years he/she has a TON of this stuff! Over the years I have taught second grade and preschool and I personally LOVE the stuff the kids pick out themselves! I got the tackiest ceramic eagle one year that a little boy picked out at Dollar Tree but he was SO proud of it and so eager to give it to me that it just meant the world to me! This year my daughter is in Kindergarten and we purchased snowman mugs and she is going to help me make Snowman Soup for her teachers. Usually the special teachers (librarian, art, music, phys. ed., secretaries, principal, nurse, custodian, bus driver.) get forgotten at the holidays but buying for everyone can get expensive so we make snowman soup for everyone! The total cost for 10 mugs of Snowman Soup $20!!! We will also get a little something for her teacher too probably a gc for a manicure or some Bath and body stuff!

What is snowman soup? Sounds very cute.

Snowman Soup

I have also done snowman soup but I usually will do it at the beginning of December (if it is cool enough, closer to Mid Dec if need be) and instead of buying mugs, I just get some cute party favor bags and stuff the cocoa mix and everything else in it and attach a cute tag and then stick it in the teachers lounge. This was always with my ds's schools where the teacher and staff total was never more than about 35-40 people...no way would I do it at my dd's school where there is easily 100+ on staff!!

A gift that I got last year from one of my preschool kiddos was a huge metal cookie cutter that they had filled with fudge they made. They just laid the cookie cutter on a piece of wax paper and poured the fudge in. Once it was cool, they put in a clear cookie bag w/ a really nice tag that she wrote my name and her name on w/ some cute ribbon.

I'm stealing the idea for my DD3 this year for her teachers @ daycare. They'll get one of those and a BBW soap. (I keep those on stock for gifts - uuber cheap when you hit the sales and we teachers love them!)

Thought of another thing- if you write a heartfelt note, send a copy to the principal and superintendent, saying this is a letter you are sending to your child's teacher and thought they should know what good things the teacher is doing. I did this for a teacher my DD10 had for 2 years (the teacher bumped up a grade and we ended up having her both times). I got an email from the Sup. thanking me for the letter, that he was going to read it to the entire staff at the next meeting and it was nice to get a positive email/letter from a parent for once. I ran into the teacher a few weeks later, who thanked me profusely and said she was moved to tears when she heard the letter.

A gift that I got last year from one of my preschool kiddos was a huge metal cookie cutter that they had filled with fudge they made. They just laid the cookie cutter on a piece of wax paper and poured the fudge in. Once it was cool, they put in a clear cookie bag w/ a really nice tag that she wrote my name and her name on w/ some cute ribbon.

I'm stealing the idea for my DD3 this year for her teachers @ daycare. They'll get one of those and a BBW soap. (I keep those on stock for gifts - uuber cheap when you hit the sales and we teachers love them!)

Any suggestions on where to find a cookie cutter that is exceptionally big? R u talking like 6 x 6 approx?

That is such a neat idea....even if not for a teacher. I just made some fudge Sunday ;) just for us....

Thanks. . .

We make silver and crystal bracelets and necklaces for my daughter's teachers every year. Her teacher, the librarian and the EA all cried last year. It was so sweet. They sell for $30+ each, but we're able to make them for just a few dollars (at most). This year we're also making matching silver bookmarks - crystals and a pendant hanging from the top.

Thought of another thing- if you write a heartfelt note, send a copy to the principal and superintendent, saying this is a letter you are sending to your child's teacher and thought they should know what good things the teacher is doing. I did this for a teacher my DD10 had for 2 years (the teacher bumped up a grade and we ended up having her both times). I got an email from the Sup. thanking me for the letter, that he was going to read it to the entire staff at the next meeting and it was nice to get a positive email/letter from a parent for once. I ran into the teacher a few weeks later, who thanked me profusely and said she was moved to tears when she heard the letter.

:fluffy: That is a very sweet story...I have written alot of good things before in cards/on paper to various teachers my son has had because they had been so helpful, but never thought about copying to Principal, that is a great idea.

My child has autism and other issues and I always give the teachers alot of credit for helping him/these kids. It takes much patience, and extra kindness when trying to understand how hard it is for the kids to communicate, cope with their own behaviors, let alone, LEARN.... And then the teachers/staff have to deal with me (the parents) who are usually asking for alot more info that what typical student's parents would ask--because we don't get it from our kids, etc...

Any suggestions on where to find a cookie cutter that is exceptionally big? R u talking like 6 x 6 approx?

That is such a neat idea....even if not for a teacher. I just made some fudge Sunday ;) just for us....

Thanks. . .

I just recently bought a paint bucket filled w/ metal cookie cutters (about 10 of them) at Aldi's the other week. Walmart has cute one that are semi big in the christmas candy section also.

Are you near the Grove City outlets? They have a couple of kitchen stores there that have cutters I think also.

I just recently bought a paint bucket filled w/ metal cookie cutters (about 10 of them) at Aldi's the other week. Walmart has cute one that are semi big in the christmas candy section also.

Are you near the Grove City outlets? They have a couple of kitchen stores there that have cutters I think also.

I almost bought the aldi's ones..but I was thinking bigger....so they get a decent amount of fudge :gdlicklips:

Not too close to Grove city, but maybe I could try a Bed Bath & Beyond.or a Walmart like you said... I have 1 bigger cutter, like maybe 3 x 4 but it is a butterfly, not :holiday08 enough LOL

Hi neighbor! I'm about 45 minutes from Grove City Outlets. I'm excited to know someone else is from around here! :yup:

cake supply shops sometimes have those large cutters

I've also used the Pampered Chef heart stone to make a huge chocolate for teachers

or line a funnel with foil and make a large 'hershey like' kiss chocolate

one year the boyz and I made huge cookie wreaths for the teachers...but mind you, these are teachers we know pretty well...I do know some teachers who won't eat anything made at some peoples homes

honestly, the way this season is going, I'd be THRILLED with some hand sanitizer that is scented nicely or mixed with lotion...I am going through TONS of it (and my sons teacher - we work in the same building- told me all he wants is more Clorox wipes and facial tissue lol)

how about a coupon book filled with things you would be willing to volunteer for:

reading a story to the class

making a treat (when it's NOT a party or your normal treat day)

organizing a game at recess

organizing and doing a craft with the class

coming in and doing 'odds and ends' for the teacher (the non-glamorous stuff)

I would say well into 90% of the teachers i know (co-workers and family) would not eat homemade gifts. Most smile say TY and trash them afterwards.

We dont give gifts to teachers. We give gifts to the classroom. New games for indoor recess, supplies, or books typically. Again most teachers i know and DD has had prefer this and request it vs the 200th #1 teacher mug. I am sorely tempted this year just cause i *LOVE* some of the neat pop bottle ideas in homemade gift thread but teacher has already said class gifts only. Someone *WILL* be getting a bottle pop LOL

I would say well into 90% of the teachers i know (co-workers and family) would not eat homemade gifts. Most smile say TY and trash them afterwards.

We dont give gifts to teachers. We give gifts to the classroom. New games for indoor recess, supplies, or books typically. Again most teachers i know and DD has had prefer this and request it vs the 200th #1 teacher mug. I am sorely tempted this year just cause i *LOVE* some of the neat pop bottle ideas in homemade gift thread but teacher has already said class gifts only. Someone *WILL* be getting a bottle pop LOL

My DD's teacher told me one year that the best gift she got was gift cards to get stuff for her classroom.

I would say this is true, sorry for the Betty Crockers out there...

Class gifts are great, gift cards are great (starbucks, gas station, grocery store)

Best gift ever was a giftcard for a mani/pedi.

No more apple stuff, please. It ususally gets donated to goodwill. Seriously, teachers get soo much 'teacher' stuff.

I like ornaments for the tree, a nice letter, stuff for the classroom.

I was planning on buying my 2 kids teachers wall flowers from bath and body or the ones from yankee candle. I agree with homemade goods that they get thrown away. I am not a teacher but I work at a medical office and I don't eat anything that is baked and brought in by patients. I'm just picky like that though. With all the sick germs going around, you just never know.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I would work off of this one....OP hope you don't mind....My LO is in daycare and I want to get her teachers like a $5 gift...I will wind up having to get like 5 b/c she will be switching classrooms at the beginning of december and having 2 new teachers...I don't want to get her recent teachers something and not get her new ones anything.....Any suggestions on that?

• 4 weeks later...

As a teacher, (although not a male one) I can say that gift certificates to teacher supply stores are always greatly appreciated. If you don't have a local teacher supply store, then would suggest Wal-Mart (as they have practically everything) or maybe Best Buy.

If you're looking for something other that gift certificates... maybe some homemade fudge or cookies.