Walmart 11/7 In-Store Specials Official Discussion Thread

Brad

I was talked into going in for the xbox so now need to research the tv's. It was my understanding plasma's were more likely to burn out sooner but I think the plasma had rave reviews compared to the lcd.

In ref to the blu ray question, I think the more important things to look into before buying would be if it is/needs to be(for your use) wireless, and if you have Netflix or Pandora? movie rentals they now also make players which will play that too so would be an added benefit.

Panasonic plasmas are rated to last 100,000 hours. At 50,000 hours you might start to see the screen brightness lower, but in average use, that's 15 years from now, and 30 years till life of the tv would most likely end. It's a myth that plasma don't last as long.

Plasmas have better motion for sports and action movies, and better contrast and colors. LCD's only advantage is higher brightness, which is only good if you plan to place the tv in a room full of windows.

any thoughts on when to get there if u do not have a 24 hour store in a rural area??? we open at 7 normally .... last year there was maybe 10 people at these sales at 630. But with this economy I am thinking popping over at 5 or 530 might be better

i went at 6 am they open at seven there was'nt alot of people at that time plus Don't go to the electrioncs dept because they were giving the tickets for the laptop at customer service at the newton n.j store last year so a lot of people lost out on it plus they only had 20 good luck:D:D:eyepoppin

My Walmart told me that if I bought the Sharp 42" TV today at FULL price, they would credit me the difference on Saturday, with just the receipt. So that's what we're doing. No muss, no fuss, no lines on Saturday morning.

We're not opening the box until we're sure, because if they don't honor their agreement, we'll just return it, unopened.

PTFLynn

In ref to sharp 42 website says not available in all stores. I'm trying to compare that and the Insignia at BB that is energysaver compliant but I've had issues with BB and TV's before and the WM product care seems pretty all encompassing.

I'm heading into my WM around 6am tomorrow to see what their setup will be, how many xbox available etc. I figure at best could get brother the xbox and use his gc for the tv purchase. I owe him a bday present could just turn it into bday and xmas w/a few games thrown in.

Edited by tinkrbel
add

Best Buy is now offering a 42" Panasonic Plasma and the Insignia 42" LCD both for $498 to compete with the Sharp at Wal-Mart The Panny is 200 dollars off, the cheapest it has ever been. Panasonic is a far better quality brand then Sharp, which are known for poor quality and reliability. The Insignia is Best Buy's brand, but comes with a 2 year warranty, and are built with similar parts as the Sharp.

Couple options to look at for those looking for a cheap 40" to 42".

Is this a special sale or you can walk in anytime?

In ref to sharp 42 website says not available in all stores. I'm trying to compare that and the Insignia at BB that is energysaver compliant but I've had issues with BB and TV's before and the WM product care seems pretty all encompassing.

The Sharp 42" is Energy Star Compliant.

Also, note that at the regular price, the Walmart product care is $59, but when the price on the TV 'drops' to $498, the price on the 2 year Walmart product care is only $29.

Last year we had to wait until 8am even though ours is a 24 hr store. We spent the night so we could get the cheap laptop for my stepdaughter.

Yea, some Walmarts start the sale at midnight and some don't. I called two of the 24 hour Walmarts in my area and they are starting the sale at midnight.:D

I went last year to get the laptop and showed up at 6:45, it opened at 7. Right before they opened the manager came out and handed out 40 tickets to the first 40 people in line that wanted the laptop. I was #32. When we got in at 7 we went back to Electronics and they said we had to wait until 8. They tried to get a head start on ringing us up and took #1 at like 7:50, but the system wouldn't let them do it. The system locked it out until 8. They didn't normally sell the laptop, so I'm not sure if it would have worked for the other products. I wonder if this will happen this year. I would hate to be the manager that decides to start at 12, only to have the system not let him...think of all the angry, anxious people wanting "their" stuff.

By the way, for those of you planning on getting the xbox deal, you can't use the gift card on one of the tv's or anything else in the store. The gift card is a eGift card that can only be used online at walmart.com

Edited by jeff7602

I stood outside Walmart (non-24 hour) for thier in-store special (early Nov) for the $298 Compaq Laptop lat year. I got there around 3am (3rd on line). Around 5am it was looking pretty much like Black Friday (long line). The web-site said only 10 per store. The store actually had 30. The manager came out around 6 to hand out the tickets. By, the time the store opened at 7 the laptops were already sold out to the "ticket holders". We could not make our actual purchase till 8 because of thier cash registers. Jeff7602 we must have been at teh same Walmart. :) I checked Best buy web site. You can buy the Insignia & Panasonic NOW!!! There is no special sale date. I have an 47 inch Insignia I bought last year. It's a cheap brand but has a GREAT Picture!! The only flaw is the sound. Since the speakers are flat you dont get great bass or stereo. However, I hooked it up to my stereo receiver and I was good to go! Also, back to the 42in Sharp at WM if you do dont go through the sales section and just look up the TV through the electronics section it gives you the option to "find in stores". Type in your zip code and the list of stores will come up that has it. They will ALL say LIMITED STOCK!!! I hope some of this info helps someone!

Went and checked out the Sharp 42 in last night. An employee scanned the barcode and said they would only have 4. He said it was unlikely many people would be there for the sale, but he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd agree with the employee on that one. It seems like a pretty good price to me and with only four in stock I don't see it lasting long at all. I was going to go for that one myself until Best Buy came back with a sale of their own on the 42" Panasonic plasma for $498.

So I just called my local Wal-Mart and asked what time they close tonight, what time they open tomorrow and what time the sale starts tomorrow. He responded 10pm, 7am and "what sale"? OMG! I told him the one on the website that says Saturday Nov. 7th at 8am so of course he responded "well there ya go...8am". I'm calling my MIL when she gets home from work, she works at Wa-Mart in the electronics dept. ;)

EVERY walmart around me, and I do say all 12 of them... are doing it at 8am.

Called all of them, most have between 10-15, they mentioned to go directly to the electronics department.

Each store was a 24 hours store.

you may have just saved me some frustration and time in traffic. The employees this morning didn't have a clue and then it took about 20 minutes to get electronics to answer when I called during lunch as no manager was available. I wasn't sure whether to buy the "just come to electronics" line she fed me.

I'm still not sure if I want the cheaper LCD or very discounted Plasma.