Walmart 11/7 In-Store Specials Official Discussion Thread

Brad

I was really thinking about getting this Xbox just because of the new Natal coming out next year, but I consulted with the experts-our last full-time resident teenager and her friends-and was informed we would be better off getting a better one with more storage, etc. Guess I will wait till I absolutely must aquire one or be driven insane by the pleading. The wii keeps them entertained enough for now when the rest are home weekends from college. :guitarist:singer::gdrockf:

So now I am staring at the 52" Sharp deal. That wasn't on the front page, but it's in the press release. TV and Blue ray are our big plans this year. And so DH and I will be traipsing along to BB and WM this evening. First BB to decide how big a TV we are getting (46" or 50-52") and seeing if we can hook our Bose 321 speakers into a new Blueray (the DVD player keeps shutting down so it's time for it to bow out); then to see the Sharp's in person.

hmmm...

Yes you can buy a hard drive for it. Pretty easy to install. and unless you are an avid gamer you may not need the hard drive.

Honestly, you need a hard drive whether you are an avid gamer or not. I am personally a very hardcore gamer, and i have friends who range from playing very little, to teammates who travel to gaming tournaments all over the east coast. All of them needed a hard drive, so if your looking into this xbox make sure to look into getting a hard drive as well. I personally will be at Walmart picking one of these up since my xbox just recently got the red ring of death and is at Microsoft getting repaired. This leaves me without an xbox for the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 launch. I figure ill pick one of these up until mine comes back and then resell it while keeping the gift card. Anyway, just figured id try to help out.

ok so dh and i are trying a "no-credit Christmas" by using no credit cards. We have to get out of our debt, it's driving me bonkers. So this is seriously killing me in not being able to pick up deals like these! Now i have to work around his 2 paydays a month instead of going out to get something right away, when it comes on sale. he gets paid on the 13th so i will at least have some BF money. good luck to all of those getting in on these deals!

We're considering the Sharp 42" lcd tv. I'm not too familiar with these deals and how popular they are. The sale starts at 8 am- If we were to go to Walmart at 1 pm do you think there's a chance they would be completely out of these? Just trying to get a realistic idea of how early I should get there. Thanks.

Welcome to the community!

1pm will be way late. I would get there at least 2-3 hours before the sale just depending on how busy your local WM is.

If you have any more questions please ask.

We're considering the Sharp 42" lcd tv. I'm not too familiar with these deals and how popular they are. The sale starts at 8 am- If we were to go to Walmart at 1 pm do you think there's a chance they would be completely out of these? Just trying to get a realistic idea of how early I should get there. Thanks.

Welcome to the community!

1pm will be way late. I would get there at least 2-3 hours before the sale just depending on how busy your local WM is.

If you have any more questions please ask.

The Walmarts near me are all 24 hour ones. How does this work for an 8am sale? Anyone know? There is that question of how many per store (I am looking at the 42" Sharp) and I have the question of when the others in my area will be there :D

Call me crazy, but I just love shopping for it all on BF. I feel like that's when I get the best deals. I think I am addicted to BF shopping and this site.:)

:gdyeahthat:

i'm the same way!! we don't do credit cards, so i like to save all my money for black friday and after! the official start of my shopping season!

Do you have a 24 hour Wal-Mart in your area?

If you do, there is a good chance that they might start the sale at midnight.

If I needed a laptop BEFORE BF would this HP for $300 be a good computer for a good price?

If your walmart still has any, the Acer for $348 in this week's ad has better specs/hardware than the HP for $298. Check WM ad online and call around to see which store has any. HTH!

So do you guys think that walmart is going to have more sales like these next saturday or maybe the one after?

it looks like its going to be a weekly thing when you read the press release.... was it a weekly thing last year??

Thanks

I think they only had one "secret" Saturday sale last year.

Last year we had to wait until 8am even though ours is a 24 hr store. We spent the night so we could get the cheap laptop for my stepdaughter.

Last year BestBuy had a laptop for $279 and it had a dual-core processor. So you might find a better deal. I also believe that Wally World is going to have more of the HPs before Christmas.

BPR, don't get too hung up on core count. It turns out WHICH core is more important that how many. If you look at this chart, you will find dual core cpus above and below the Celeron 900.

Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.20GHz 745 410

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core L310 658 429

AMD Athlon TF-20 389 580

The Celeron 900 is ~10% FASTER than the dual core L310. Both are much faster than the tf-20 I use everyday.

If you want to knock this laptop, the video chip is probably the place to nibble. Or maybe the smallish disk. I think it's fine and may buy two Saturday.

Edited by len_mullen

The Walmarts near me are all 24 hour ones. How does this work for an 8am sale? Anyone know? There is that question of how many per store (I am looking at the 42" Sharp) and I have the question of when the others in my area will be there :D

All of our Walmarts are 24 hour as well. We did this sale last year to pick up my sons laptop. We got there at 5:30 and we were about 4th in line at the electronics counter. Everyone formed a line behind us. Then at 8am the people pulled a pallet out and brought it to the electronics counter and handed them out as people paid for them, they did this with the TVs too. I will tell you that my mother is picking up the laptop for my niece, she called both our local walmarts and they did tell her how many they had. Maybe they will do that for the TVs too. One of our Walmarts has 51 laptops the other had 22.

And last year they had a limit of one item per person, the lady in front of us needed two, so she had my husband use her debit card to buy her second one.

Oh I forgot to ask if X-box has games for girls too or is it mostly stuff for boys? We have PS2 and Wii. My DD asked for X-box a few times because my cousin has it and she seen how good the graphics where on it. I was not going to get one but with the $100 GC it makes the deal sweet because I am also looking for a camera this year for her and I can probaly price match for $100 or under everyone has been having decent sales on them lately. I could score both the x-box and camera for $200.00, can't go wrong there. Decisions, decicions. :cheesy:

As to credit cards, I was over extended big time two years ago. If I wanted something from Best Buy I"d order it online and put it on my card. Last march, I had 9 department store and 2 major credit cards. We remortgaged our almost paid for home for the amount we owed and cancelled all of them. It was a little scary, but I remembered the banks have xmas clubs. I started one in January and put 25.00 in it every pay day that was a full week. My husband is construction so the weather affects his work. It had 850.00 in it October 15 and I got my check a week later. My husband is off right now, but I'm not cashing this check until BF. Unemployment has kicked in and it pays very well. I am not worried about money anymore since the cards are gone. It was constant stress over who to pay.

Oh I forgot to ask if X-box has games for girls too or is it mostly stuff for boys? We have PS2 and Wii. My DD asked for X-box a few times because my cousin has it and she seen how good the graphics where on it. I was not going to get one but with the $100 GC it makes the deal sweet because I am also looking for a camera this year for her and I can probaly price match for $100 or under everyone has been having decent sales on them lately. I could score both the x-box and camera for $200.00, can't go wrong there. Decisions, decicions. :cheesy:

My ds24 told me xbox is mainly for older boys with lots of fighting, etx. FOr children and girls he recommended wii so I bought one in the summer. IT has tons of young children and girls stuff for the grandkids. They love the wii fit and are always doing it, which is good.

it looks like its going to be a weekly thing when you read the press release.... was it a weekly thing last year??

From what I recall, it was a weekly thing last year but the first one was the best for the computers etc. I was able to get the laptop for my daughter because a friend's DH was there and called her while we were working and asked if he could get one. I hadn't been on the site so I didn't know:eyepoppin

Still on the fence about the 52" sharp. Went to look at it last night. If it's the one on display...it is very nice. Wish I was spending a grand toward siver status at BB though.

I don't think people are realizing what a good deal the xbox-gift card combo is. The only significant difference between the xbox arcade and the Elite consoles is the size of the hard drive. From what I've heard, it's not that difficult to replace the hard drive in an xbox. You can buy a hard drive on ebay or just roll the gift card into a top-of-the-line 120GB hard drive on Wal-mart online for $134.96

http://www.walmart.com/120Gb-Xbox-360-Hard-Drive/ip/5751091

Both the Elite console and the Arcade have an HDMI output. Microsoft is constantly releasing new chips to help with xbox overheating issues, but you cannot rely on a higher-priced model to have a better chip. In fact, I have heard that the Arcades are more likely to be up-to-date because the stores sell more of them and get supplies in more quickly.

Xboxes are rarely discounted and I would be shocked if you found a comparable deal anywhere else. If I didn't already own an xbox I would be all over this deal.

Well I just saw an ad on TV for this sale. I was liking that it was just online if you knew where to look. Then it was the top story on Yahoo yesterday and now all over TV. I was hoping to stroll in at 7ish, but now it's looking like closer to 5am just to be on the safe side.

Well I just saw an ad on TV for this sale. I was liking that it was just online if you knew where to look. Then it was the top story on Yahoo yesterday and now all over TV. I was hoping to stroll in at 7ish, but now it's looking like closer to 5am just to be on the safe side.

Exactly. What was the point of me signing up for the emails and such if it was going to be every where.

Best Buy is now offering a 42" Panasonic Plasma and the Insignia 42" LCD both for $498 to compete with the Sharp at Wal-Mart The Panny is 200 dollars off, the cheapest it has ever been. Panasonic is a far better quality brand then Sharp, which are known for poor quality and reliability. The Insignia is Best Buy's brand, but comes with a 2 year warranty, and are built with similar parts as the Sharp.

Couple options to look at for those looking for a cheap 40" to 42".

Last year, that "Biscuit" fur real dog was one of the items. I went to my 24 hour at midnight and it was already at the discounted price. I don't know if that works with TV's or not.

I was talked into going in for the xbox so now need to research the tv's. It was my understanding plasma's were more likely to burn out sooner but I think the plasma had rave reviews compared to the lcd.

In ref to the blu ray question, I think the more important things to look into before buying would be if it is/needs to be(for your use) wireless, and if you have Netflix or Pandora? movie rentals they now also make players which will play that too so would be an added benefit.