Decorating - Too soon?

lilij

I told my husband last weekend that I wanted to put up the tree and his comment was, "Rushing the season a little aren't we?" I took the hint. I figure I will wait another week or so and mention it again and see what kind of response I get.;)

tntsmomie - We have 3 cats and I remember the first Christmas with the two youngest ones. They climbed up in the tree and peeked out from the top branches. I shooed them out, but the just kept going in there! I actually used a picture of them peeking out of the tree for our Christmas card that year. Somehow they managed to keep from disturbing the ornaments and lights, and they never got hurt. But by the next year they were over it, and decided to lay on the tree skirt with our older cat instead of climbing.:tongue1:

allshoppedout - Like the new avitar! :yup:

I am totally excited to get my trees up, too, but I'm going to try and hold out for the week of Thanksgiving. I always take the week of Thanksgiving off and decorate the house that Monday and Tuesday. It usually takes me two days to get everything out and just how I want it. Although this year I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do due to a back injury I had in January. Don't want to push my luck as I've somehow avoided back surgery!!

allshoppedout - Like the new avitar! :yup:

:) oh thank you... might be a little hard to read...is says thankful for Keith... as much as I love the snoopy/peanuts specials & wanted them as my avi, I couldn't ditch Keith LOL.

.http://bestsmileys.com/christmas1/3.gif

I just was thinking, any of you ever ponder why it is that we ladies so much enjoy the decorating & the choosing of decorations/lights etc?? (I mean some men like it, but I'd say it is quite rare).

I know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the LIGHTS and I hate taking them down in Jan....I think the lights add LIFE to WINTER in my part of the world---where everything is cold, gloomy and snowy--sun doesn't come out that much.

I don't know maybe I wouldn't be so obsessed if I were in Florida or Texas....

I know my Dad refused to put decorations outside when I was growing up--not ever sure why, but likely that he hated the cold! He did put all lights on tree inside the house and get most of the stuff down from attic.

Maybe his anti-lights make me PRO-LIGHTS :D

Love to hear others opinions....

I am forbidden to put any Christmas decorations out before BF. Once in the house from BF shopping and bags stowed, my DS and I bust it all out and get it done in the remainder of the day. My scrooge, I mean DH, watches. It all comes down the day after Christmas. :(

I love laying underneath the tree with my son looking at the lights....it's the most content feeling in the world.:2cloud9:

My DH feels the same way, its too soon, blah blah blah ;) My neighbor down the street has her lights up already and hell, the neighbors across the street leave theirs up all year:yuck: I am going to try to convince him to at least put up the outside lights since the weather has been so nice, even if we don't turn them on for a few weeks.

I *might* bring my stuff out the week of the 16th, the week before Thanksgiving. But not a tree. We only get real trees and that sucker would be beyond dead before Christmas. DF is still out to sea and DS has his 6th grade camp that week so I will be here all alone with nothing to do. I will need something to keep me occupied. I might do some, it depends on how heavy the boxes are.

Okay we ALWAYS put our tree up Thanksgiving weekend.....but I really wanna do it now. DH say's absolutely NO!!! I'm home from work this whole week as I've been put out of work w/ the flu. I think I'm on the downside of it, and I get little bursts of energy. Anyhow, I want to use 1 of those bursts to get the tree up.

So, has anyone started putting up Christmas decorations yet?

we dont put up until weekend of thanksgiving unless we have a nice day and plan on doing outdoor decorations.

I just walked outside to see my neighbors have put out their christmas decorations in the front yard.

Light up trees, light up train, and even christmas music playing!

I love christmas and decorating and all that but it's just too early for me, I like to get thanksgiving over and then start on christmas lol

I usually wait until Thanksgiving weekend, but I've been pondering the idea of doing it earlier this year. I'm just so wiped out from kids, going back to school and getting over the flu that I figure whenever I get the energy and motivation I'm doing it, early or not.

I really don't think my husband will have a problem with it. He still has the second story house lights up from last X-Mas! He'd have no right to say anything!

I always put mine up the weekend before on or around the 21 for my daughters birthday and then I dont take it down until the first week of January !!Love this time of year!!

Me too!

My dh probably wouldn't care if I put the decorations up now. He also doesn't say anything about how long they stay up either. I pretty much run all that lol. He let's me do what I want and just enjoys it.

For me honestly I would feel weird putting up my stuff this early, guess because it's not what I'm used to. The tradition I'm starting with our family is putting up the decorations either on BF night or Saturday night. But I might want to do it on Thankgiving night this year.

Me too!

My dh probably wouldn't care if I put the decorations up now. He also doesn't say anything about how long they stay up either. I pretty much run all that lol. He let's me do what I want and just enjoys it. QUOTE]

My Dh is the same way! He kinda has been griping about the outside stuff but thats because he starts working 15 hr days the week of thanksgiving and he knows that he has to get the outside stuff up before then or i freak lol

We always go to a local choose and cut farm on the sunday after BF since hubby works saturdays! (i live in spruce pine NC heart of christmas tree country!!!) they have a huge like 2 story tall red barn and a giant snowman thats taller than the barn!! hayrides,coco,sugar cookies(baked fresh) and apple cider. They let us walk or ride on a 4-wheeler or other vehicle to get our tree and we come home and i cook all kinds of snack food(pigs n a blanket,summer sausage,cheese,crackers,coco,punch,lil wennies, and more! umm..oh we bake cut out cookies too!! and then we all decorate the tree and listen to xmas music!! WOW i cant belive its almost here!!!!! :D:D:D

Well today began good.......but then I decided to go to the attic to look at some of the outdoor decorations...knowing it'll be 60 ish beginning tomorrow, I wanted to be organized.. HA!

I found out that 2 of my net light sets won't light...I shook them and wiggled the bulbs, nothing! Oriiginally I had 4...

Then I remembered that I had trouble last Fall with the other 2 sets....so that means I HAVE NO NET LIGHTS..

Then there is the lighted garland I wrap around lampost do you think that worked? :no: I know it DID when I had it up last Christmas....I found the broken wire after I looked a bit, so NO GARLAND FOR LAMP....

I am hoping my 2 deer make it through this Xmas, they are grapevine, and gold and I love how they look, :fluffy: nicer than alot I have seen in my days.... and they were only 60 for both and that was about 6 years ago...(they are not small ones) Considering they spend about 2 months outside every year, I guess they were pretty long lasting.

How long do YOUR decorations last?

I wanted to find ONE nice cute new thing for the yard, but didn't find anything exceptionally cute. I even looked at WALGREENS...

Got my "portable ceramic heaters" from the attic too .... won't need them THIS weekend, but I will soon after --figured grab 'em while I was up there..

So.....

Not a very productive day :no:

lilij, sounds like a good plan...I won't turn mine on until night before T-giving :)

I wouldn't put stuff up now "just because" but having family visit that won't be here for Christmas, GO FOR IT!

I actually held a "all holiday" dinner when my brother and his family were here last summer....we had decorations for every holiday up and had a huge meal (turkey, stuffing, cranberries, etc...in July!)

Look what i just did...and yes its 3 am here lol but i couldnt sleep untill i got my christmas stuff out of that darn closet! lol I only got it out now b/c in about 2 weeks when i will need it i have parties(im a pure romance consulant I just started about 5 months ago!) and i am booked solid untill the week b4 christmas...I have promised myself and my DH that i wouldnt look through any of it for another 2 weeks and only the lights box then the sun after thanksgiving we will go through it as a family when we put up the tree! its just kind of a tradtion to see all the past years oraments & such together! But heres proof of all my hard work!!! lol I did find my burl ives cd i have been looking for! lol

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m229/southern_cowgirl_emt/1107090252.jpg

This may sound rude--and actually it was in the back of my mind but in reading this thread I remember something that happened last year and I have to vent ......

I have a neighbor--maybe late 50's?? He is not married lives with his mom--NEVER gives any Halloween treats out (not that I have seen in 16 years..) Doesn't decorate for any holiday... Only speaks to maybe 3 people on the street.

Last year just about mid Nov. we had a 60 degree weekday, Hubby had off....we went out and began assembling stuff...at first we were only gonna do some, but we worked hard and it was so warm, we were done faster than usual. Needed to get done before my kids came home (1 has special needs and is in need of nearly constant attention-all decorating is done when he is at school or asleep).

When we are all done the JERK -who we didn't even notice the entire while we were out there CLAPS and runs in the house :eek: it took all of my will power not to pick up my reindeer and hurl it at him. DH said don't react because he will know it annoyed me....

Did we go out to show off for him? Did we make noise and bother him....do we live directly across or beside him, so that we were bothering him? Are we trying to OUT-DECORATE him? Answer to all is NO...

He has no idea what my life is about...that I need to decorate when I can/son isn't around...he wouldn't know my kids name because he has never come over and spoken to them or introduced himself.

What kind of person never talks to kids, never decorates, and makes fun of people who do? SCROOGE?

He never has trouble hiding in his house in the dark on Halloween, because he is too cheap to give out candy...if he hates my decorations so much then why not just hide some more?

My house doesn't look like the Griswold's or anything, it doesn't make people ride by and stare--not overdone at all...

Normally I don't turn my lights on when I put up early.... but I did that night, I lit everyone up. ;)

Look what i just did...and yes its 3 am here lol but i couldnt sleep untill i got my christmas stuff out of that darn closet! lol I only got it out now b/c in about 2 weeks when i will need it i have parties(im a pure romance consulant I just started about 5 months ago!) and i am booked solid untill the week b4 christmas...I have promised myself and my DH that i wouldnt look through any of it for another 2 weeks and only the lights box then the sun after thanksgiving we will go through it as a family when we put up the tree! its just kind of a tradtion to see all the past years oraments & such together! But heres proof of all my hard work!!! lol I did find my burl ives cd i have been looking for! lol

Good for you wnc_mom ! I do some good work at 3 a.m. myself.... :yup: I could fall asleep last night (was there a full moon?) Finally went to bed after 2 a.m......

Your stuff is so neatly organized, wow... Good luck on your parties!

Today and tomorrow are going to be in the 70s, great weekend to put out the decorations. But won't turn on the lights until Thanksgiving weekend.

I think people who decorate on a warm Nov day are smart....I have put lights up when it was 20 and freezing...would much rather have them up on a warm day and just not turn them on.:yup:

We put up our lights 10/29, because it was such a mild day... but we won't turn them on till BF. My wife wants to put up the tree and decorate next weekend. She says it takes so long to decorate; we should be able to enjoy it for a longer time.

I am going to start early this year, because I bought so much Christmas decorations last year. I don't remember everything I bought, I need to sort through all this stuff. I decorate in a different color theme every year. Last year I decorated the tree cream and gold. My boys love blue so this year the tree will be red, Lt.blue and silver. My husband told me it was too early too decorate, when I mentioned all the stuff I need to sort threw he then agreed! We are also gonna have a Christmas /Anniversary party Dec 5th, so I really need to start early!:D

Good for you wnc_mom ! I do some good work at 3 a.m. myself.... :yup: I could fall asleep last night (was there a full moon?) Finally went to bed after 2 a.m......

Your stuff is so neatly organized, wow... Good luck on your parties!

Thank you! Your nieghbor is a scrooge! i would have to vent too! lol My nieghbors want me to decorate earlier! lol We live in the country so theres not many around but they all say they love to see my display and cant wait to see what new things i add each year! I have a huge yard we have about 4 acres all together but only about 2 in the front yard and i decorate all 2 acres of it lol Id just tell him to stick it if he was my neighbor lol