Why Do People Take their Small Kids on Black Friday

sastolfi

Well My 10 year old went to Walmart and he was on movie detail with is 22 year old sister, She said people were saying rude and snide remarks to her. But he is little for being 10 but he was great, as he stood there for his time he knew where all the movies were she wanted and he could get down low and grab what they needed and they were out of there in nothing flat as all the big peoples were fighting over looking for movies

Good for him/you. I bet he was glad to be a helper. Too bad for the crabby co-shoppers--they were just jealous that they couldn't reach down that low. :tongue1:

I don't judge because I'm not their parents but it isn't something I would do. It is one thing to bring a teen or tween that is excited and wants to go but another to drag out the little ones in the cold or rain to stand in place in the dark for hours.

At that age, my gifts that I really wanted were all from "Santa" so it would've kinda ruined that side of things to see mom or dad buying them then at the store.

I also disagree with the notion that BF shopping is the only way kids are getting ANYTHING.

It may be the only way a parent can afford a hot item but there are lots of cheap toys all year long. Some times I think it is ok for a kid not to get the thing they are dying for. I know as parents you want to give them everything but it is okay also to teach the lesson of being thankful for whatever you get on Christmas because it isn't all about the gifts.

With all that said, to any parent who does take their little ones out, go for it. There isn't any one right way to be a parent and taking kids to BF is hardly the worst thing you can do.

I haven't kept up with this thread since the last time I posted. But yesterday, we had a great day of shopping! It was me with my 11 yr old DD, 9 yr old DD, 6 yr old DD, almost 3 yr old DS, and my two month old son! Wished I had a dollar for every time I heard someone tell me I was brave LOL The kids were great and we had a great day together, and I got them some great gifts!

Where I live it's warm year round and the crowds are not so bad. This year dh and I went and we took our 2 and 3 year olds with us. We didn't stand in line though. We went at 6am so the lines were already gone. There was parking and lots of people leaving. We walked right in and was surprised that Target was so efficient. We bought some breakfast sandwiches and hashbrowns at the food counter and the little ones remained quiet and satisfied in the carts. There was no pushing or shoving and lots of customer service people in all aisles coming up asking if we needed help looking for something. No people running around and shoving. It was crowded but with the customer service people asking people what they wanted and directing us, it made it that much easier for people to get what they wanted and move on. We got done shopping by 7am. We were shocked that we got what we wanted and almost everything was stocked. One of the customer service people said that they made sure to stock huge amounts of the hot items so that people could get what they wanted. One of the big things I needed for my older kids were ripsticks but thanks to Gottadeal, I bought them from Macys online for $20 each plus shipping. Online made it let stresstful and way cheaper than Targets price.

Of course, we arrived an hour after opening and did not camp out or wait in lines in the early morning so it may have been worse then.

I was really upset to see all the tiny babies/toddlers out in the morning, esp because it gets really cold here. One 1-ish year old was behind us in line at TRU and cried the whole hour while we waited. I just wanted to throw the $5 mom was saving on her 2 toys to get that baby to bed. She was with a group so there was no reason she couldn't have stayed home. :no:

Another was in line in 30 degree weather with her mom? with a 6 mo-ish old baby at Old Navy for an hour. Mom all bundled up with hat and gloves, baby in onsie with a very light blanket. And while she was busy smoking her cigarette, her toddler ran in the street. :no:

As someone who works with the aftermath of parental stupidity, I really just want to shake these type of parents. As my friend says, common sense isn't very common.

I have often wondered too. I worked at a local store and watched one lady with her infant and small child. She was yelling at the toddler because she was crabby. I really wanted to walk up to her and say something. It was before 7am - the child probably had been up for hours already. She had another adult with her - one of them could have stayed home.

I understand we all have diff situations. I personally won't take my kid out on BF until he's much older (he's 4). I am lucky enough to have family to watch him. Usually Hubby watches him until he has to go to work. My father shows up about 30 min before hubby leaves, so my son is always well taken care of while mom and I go deal hunting. :) However, being in MI, it was snowing and raining this year. Cold cold COLD! And I seen many instances of people out with infants and toddlers. One instance was of 3 adults and 2 infants. Tell me how one of them couldn't have at the VERY LEAST stayed in the car with the kids, rather than stand in line in the cold for hours??? They weren't bundled all that well (the infants), the adults were all coated-up just fine. And screaming/crying kids and babies on BF don't exactly make the trip more enjoyable for anyone. I understand they're tired, but do we all have to get an earful when clearly SOMEONE could have stayed home or in the car with them?