Share Your Story & Win GottaDeal.com Black Friday Survival Kits! [Winners Chosen!]

Brad

Okay, last year at Walmart I was standing around a taped off bin, waiting to get a digital camera. The closer we got to time for the tape to come off the more crowded it got. Crazy crowded! Arms and hands were flying everywhere, reaching in front of me to get a camera. Right when the tape came off I got GOOSED by some guy! LOL I said, do I look lonely to you? lol He said nope but I thought you might throw a camera at me to leave you alone. lol I did throw the camera, over his head :D and gently gave him a knee in a certain area.:tongue1:

I went to Circuit City 3 years ago to grab a TV DVD combo they had for $89. I got there at 3 thinking the line wouldn't be too bad since it was 40 degrees out and pouring. I got there to see there were only 30-40 people in line. I queued up with a poncho and umbrella and everyone was having a great time even with the weather. At around 3:30 the employees came out passing out the tickets for the big sale items, but also had a bulk roll of paper towels to help people dry off.

I don't really have any exciting stories....I just started doing the BF shopping thing about 3yrs ago. My area is pretty mild overall, you have the rude people but I haven't seen any fights yet. I have yet to not get everything on my list so that is a nice perk to living in a small area. Our Walmart is open 24hrs so no waiting in the cold, BF there starts at 5am so we are in and out by 5:15am usually and in line for Kmart by 5:25am since it doesn't open until 6am.

Hmmm, well, last year at Home Depot, there were a few of us hanging out at the door waiting for them to open (they were half an hour late opening the door :eyepoppin). Two of the guys headed over to Dunkin Donuts to get everyone coffee and munckins. So there we are laughing and joking about the madness at TRU and Walmart, and we're here eating donuts and drinking coffee :D. The doors finally open. We all walk in and this b*itchy assistant manager says we have to throw away the DD :mad: (not one of us had ever been told HD doesn't allow food or drink). So the guy who went to DD tells her if we have to throw it out, you have to give us all gift cards for the cost of it, right now. Of course she refused and told us to chuck it all. When we got home, I emailed HD corporate. A week later, I got a $50 gift card. When we went to spend it, I made sure to find the evil woman and tell her thanks for the new saw! :razz:

I love BF because it's the one guaranteed day of the year that I get time to myself! DH is just as much into it as I am now, even gives me a list of things he wants. This year he was smart and has already confirmed that he has BF off of work so I don't have to worry about being in a hurry - unless there is some less than thrilling weather in the area that would give me reason to believe he'd be called in.

Favorite specific activity to participate in on BF (besides shop) - people watching. It's cheap entertainment and always fresh and new every year :D

I remember one year we found a boy on a giving tree that wanted a bike for Xmas and realizing that nobody would probably get him a bike because it costs more than what all the other gifts on the tree cost, we decided to grab it and get the bike. We went to Walmart and were pretty far back in line, but as 5am approached everyone started scrunching towards the door and needless to say the line disappeared. I HATE when people disregard lines, but at this point there was no line anymore. So i did my best impression of Barry Sanders and cut and juked and spun through the crowd, (I am about 5'11", but super skinny so it I can fit in tiny spaces, haha) and I ended up getting literally squeezing through the door when it opened with about 20 other people. I have never been squeezed like that in my life, but I made it through and beat everyone to the back of the store to get that bike for that boy. They only had a few of that bike too so it was well worth it.

I just want to reiterate that I HATE when lines go crazy and people do essentially what I did, but in this instance because of what I was getting and what had happened to the line, I just decided to go for it. It was actually really fun and I almost felt like it was some kind of sport!

Hmmm, well, last year at Home Depot, there were a few of us hanging out at the door waiting for them to open (they were half an hour late opening the door :eyepoppin). Two of the guys headed over to Dunkin Donuts to get everyone coffee and munckins. So there we are laughing and joking about the madness at TRU and Walmart, and we're here eating donuts and drinking coffee :D. The doors finally open. We all walk in and this b*itchy assistant manager says we have to throw away the DD :mad: (not one of us had ever been told HD doesn't allow food or drink). So the guy who went to DD tells her if we have to throw it out, you have to give us all gift cards for the cost of it, right now. Of course she refused and told us to chuck it all. When we got home, I emailed HD corporate. A week later, I got a $50 gift card. When we went to spend it, I made sure to find the evil woman and tell her thanks for the new saw! :razz:

HD is awesome about customer service if you email them. I had a poor experience and emailed them and got a gift card the next week in the mail.

For the last several years, I've taken my daughter out with me. It's become a really fun tradition for us. This year, we were discussing visiting family for Thanksgiving out of the state and her first reaction was that we'd miss our shopping day. I assured her the stores in other states would be participating as well!!

Wow lots of fights, We go to a 24- hour walmart at about 1:15 AM, I buy 2 dz donuts and give them out to the employees working. I help people find what they need as I have a crew that stands by what I am wanting to get. One year after we were done with walmart and went to TRU I don't go there very often but it was the year of the transformer. I sent my son to go stand in line and my older daughter was helping my mother in law find what she was looking for. I scored 2 transformers and made my way back to my son who was snaking around the store in the check out line. While in line there were two ladies in front of us who had thier items and we were chit chating, They realized they didn't have several items they went there for, So my two daughters and I went around the store gathering what they wanted so they wouldnt have to get out of line. Now when we brought that stuff back there were other people who were close to us in the line and asked us would we mind going to get things for them. This makes for a great black friday experiance. It helps my children learn the meaning of helping people even if it's in a black friday cashiers line.

Also do I get to whine this year till I win a prize. That was the highlight of my year last year to wear my shirt with pride in the mist of an awful bad year.

Edited by Illinoismom

I have been going out BF shopping for about 15 years now. Last year was really fun. My now SIL went with me and DD (it was his first time bf shopping) and he just made it even more fun. He was great about standing in line for us, or rushing to a section to pick up a deal. We were able to get everything on the list, and he brought that newbie excitement to the hunt. He told me he is going again this year.:D

I love Black Friday & look forward to it every year!! I go with my sister & meet up with all my female family members for lunch becauese we all go our seperate ways except I stay with my sis. I hate it when people are in bad moods or not wanting to stand in lines on this day!!! Hello, it is Black Friday, if you are in a bad mood then stay home!!!! One year I was trying to get the Cabbage patch doll from WalMart for my niece. I went up to get one & just that quick a lady elbowed me right in the lip. My lip swelled up immediately, but I got the doll!!! It didn't ruin my day at all, but I knew it was an accident as she apologized quickly!! It is a great day to get bargains and I don't mind even a little bit waking up at 2:00 am. I wish i felt that good waking up for work!!! 51 more days.......................Yeah :)

My dh has shared this story with my sons so often that they beg to get to go shopping with me. About 15 years ago I talked my DH into going to Kmart with me, as I could not find anyone else willing to go that year. His job was to guard the cart. Well, simply put he failed when a couple of older women took the items(pillows) out of the cart when he hand his hands on the cart. Shocked and mortified, it was his one and only trip. Now he tells the boys BF shopping is maic and a bunch of crazy people stealing things from carts....and of course when you are 12 it sounds FUN!!!

Last year I was appalled at people's behavior. Yes, I was at Walmart...but saving a few bucks is not worth knocking over a senior citizen. I am glad I was standing near her and could keep this elderly citizen from falling down. Although, the rest of the day I was able to go home and relax because I had Walmart price match all my other store purchases. Great day for me :)

I live in small town USA, only large store nearby is Walmart. Everyone is polite and stays in orderly lines around the store. There is a line going each direction :tongue1: down each isle. It's funny as heck to see, but frustrating when you don't get to a certain item in time.

The past 4 years, I have traveled over the Thanksgiving holiday to Wisconsin to visit my brother.

He and I have gone out every year - mostly in 10-25 degree weather..standing in 2 different lines at 2 diferent retailers...just to have the chance to get our Black Friday deals. :eek:

Even before going out...we print out the BlackFriday website ads to take with us, drink several cups of coffee, and then bundle up for the 4-5 hour wait (we get there about 1am local time). :blush:

We have learned about and met a number of "regulars" in line, so this has almost become a social event, as well as a strategic buying "party" of sorts.

Last year, someone finally figured out that if they brought a van with 2 extra-large coffee makers in the back, and sold coffee for a buck, they could make a killing to those of us freezing in line. At times...he had his own line. :razz:

What we won't do to save some money for XMAS gifts. :D

My first BF experience was in 2003 ; I went to Christiana Mall in DE & it almost made me never go BF shopping again! I didnt do any planning bcuz this was like my first time hearing about it, I was 18, shopping alone for my 15 m.o. daughter & had just planned to get her a few things for Christmas. It was the craziest thing I ever saw, I was in total shock. I couldnt believe there were so many ppl. I told myself, I will NOT return to that mall, but I would give it another try. I had a plan (& a friend) from then on! I <3 BF & cant imagine ever missing it.

ok this one is about my dsd who are from Canada and have never been to a BF before i took them. I was going over the plan with them the Tuesday before and my dsd(the one who just had a baby as a matter of fact) said to me, with regards to old navy, I will just try on pants when we get there. My hubby looked at me and I said UMM NO ... you do not try on clothes on bf during peek hours. we will go tonight and u can try on pants to find out what fits and we will bomber old navy on Thursday to buy them. Flash forward to Friday and we hit the three stores before we go to old navy and the girls are feeling the rush and the cold we get into old navy she grabs her pants and we are out in like 15 mins. When we were pulling out we saw that the line inside was to the back of the store... and she said We don't try on clothes on Black friday. Lesson learned

I can't say I have a favorite BF, I love them all, it's just 2 days of me and mom spending time together and shoppinh and cooking.

It is my favorite day of the year, I got super excited for it way too early and spend all my time on this website.

And even if we don't get that good of deals or miss out on something we were really wanting it doesn't bother us too much we just love the spirit of it all lol

I believe it was two or three years ago, Meijer had fleece blankets for like $2. I had my mom and my husband with me. My mom wanted and grabbed 3 of the blankets (they were the last 3 in the box). This old man came up to her and grabbed them all right out of her hands. The look on her face was priceless!! Then the man put them in his cart and started to walk away - my mom followed him and as soon as he turned around, she took them back out of his cart. It was probably the funniest thing I have ever witnessed!

As all this was going on, I waited patiently as a manager brought another whole skid full of the blankets out!!

I will never ever let mom live that day down lol :tongue1:

Black Friday is quite poosibly the very best tradition my family has! Me my sister (and now my daughter since she is older )always spend the night at a hotel close to the best shopping and we get up at the wee hours and just have a great time. We are uually at stores no later than 4 am and we don't get home until well after 6. It is a great way to bond!

anyway the best BF experiance was when I was 9 months pregnant with my second child....I was at walmart wanting the barbies....people saw how big I was and started handing me anything I needed....LOL I guess they felt sorr for me. It looked like a huge assembly line passing things back. One worker said they had NEVER seen anything like it! :)

Last Year I won the Best Buy Black Friday VIP Contest... a stretch limo came and picked up me, my mom, my friend, and my niece and took us into the Best Buy in Manhattan. They gave me a $1000 gift card (which I spent on the spot) and a flip video camcorder. They let us in before the doors opened and the entire staff was helping us run around and get our 'deals'. It was BY FAR the most memorable Black Friday of my life... sure beat standing out in front of the store freezing to death through the night! :)

my FIRST year going I started out at our Walmart, which was NOT a 24 hour store, so we stood in line in the COLD for hours and hours and as it got closer to the time for the doors to open, the line started crushing forward (partly to keep the line jumpers out and partly just crazy!), as we went through the doors, I LITERALLY picked my feet up and was carried in by the crush of the crowd!!!

Last year, on the way to work, on a whim, I stopped off at Target. I go to work early enough that the store was almost opening. I parked off to the side, not too far away, waited maybe 5 mnutes before the line moved. It was slow, but really not bad. I grabbed a cart and got half of our Christmas shopping done and bought a little HDTV (26") that I had been debating. I've had bad experiences before, but this was fine and almost a little relaxed. I even gave a shopper buying Guitar Hero advice about an online sale I knew about.

My first black friday was 6 years ago. I was run over from a guy behind me; he put his forarm out, right into my back, I face planted, slid across the floor, only to watch him run away, no apology offered. Meanwhile, my sister was stopped like a deer in the headlights, trying to decide if she should pick me up, or go after the laptop that we were trying to get for my mom. I pathetically waved her on. We didn't get the laptop, and I ended up with a chipped knee cap. I totally understand the weirdness now of being able to predict cold weather coming on because of the pain in my knee! Now, every year when I go, my mom tags along. Stands in line with me for the 7-8 hours. And all I can hear is "tick, tick, tick" noise that her finger tip makes as it flicks the top of her pepper spray can in her pocket. Guess a mother never loses the need to protect her baby! :)

The year befor last I was in the L__O___N___G line in Walmart at the electronics department. Time came to purchase item and the man came around the corner and said "any cash paying customers?"I was the first one in the long line with cash and I got to go straight to the front. Lucky me cause there was a limited number of the zelda ds i wanted and i got both boys one just for having cash. wooo hoo.

Moral of story carry some cash. It could happen to you!!!